General Interest

Yay, first book arrived!! :)

Ordered exactly 1 week ago, and it arrived today in Belgium

Pretty fast I think!

The quality is very nice, but it looks silly thin because it’s only 38 pages :P

I’ll try to get some more pages for my next one!

Some quick images, it’s about my photography:

See my work on Flickr ;) 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
ukaaa
Aug 21, 2007 1:41am PDT
ukaaa

Congratulations !!!  it looks great !!!

You must feel like a proud daddy !  

Posted by
lindake
Aug 21, 2007 2:19am PDT
lindake

Nice one – you’ve just convinced me to try it out as a wedding album.

How about print quality in shadows? Is the tone scale good?

Posted by
ripek
Aug 21, 2007 3:35am PDT
ripek

And one more question – how many times is blurb logo repeated in the book? 

Did you choose where is to be placed or blurb decided ? 

Posted by
ripek
Aug 21, 2007 3:44am PDT
ripek

Tha blurb logo occurs on the last page.  It is unmovable.  I do not put the  blurb software copyright page in the book.  It also occurs on that page.  I just use a text page to write my copyright.

Regards

Pat 

Posted by
pattahan
Aug 21, 2007 4:06am PDT
pattahan

Like Pat said, there’s only a small logo on the last page :)

shadows looks alright, I can’t really compare cause it’s my first time, butthe overall quality is pretty good!

Posted by
ukaaa
Aug 21, 2007 5:56am PDT
ukaaa

Just a reminder: there is a Custom Logo Upgrade feature for those who prefer to use their own logo in place of Blurb’s logo, or no logo at all. -Allison

p.s. – Ukaaa: your book looks gorgeous!

Posted by
allibehr
Aug 21, 2007 9:19am PDT
allibehr

Cooool book theme. You have great imagination Ukaaa. Well done!!!!

Hey Pat, the logo can be "upgrade" as Allison gave the link for but it is costly. It added about $12 to my book. Had I paid closer attention I would not have replaced the logo with a picture.

Posted by
pictureme
Aug 21, 2007 9:52am PDT
pictureme

You can’t replace the logo.  Its there and non changeable.  Email me I will give you more details

Regards

Pat T 

Posted by
pattahan
Aug 21, 2007 10:05am PDT
pattahan

Just chiming in from Blurb headquarters. In the spirit of providing accurate info, I just want to clarify: With our Custom Logo Upgrade feature, you can, without a doubt, 100% absolutely and completely remove the Blurb logo from appearing in your book, and replace it with your own logo or nothing at all, thereby leaving those areas blank. This service was added a few months back. Here’s how to do it, straight from our FAQs.

-Allison, one of the Blurberati 

Posted by
allibehr
Aug 21, 2007 11:10am PDT
allibehr

Thank you allibehr and pictureme for the kind comments! :)

I saw one photo turned out a bit different in colour than on my PC, but the rest is all good

and I don’t really mind that there’s a Blurb logo at the end, if you get your book printed nicely I gladly let my readers know where I printed it :)

Posted by
ukaaa
Aug 21, 2007 12:21pm PDT
ukaaa

ukaaa, looks like your book is so colorful. Is it published for sale?

Posted by
nms
Aug 21, 2007 12:32pm PDT
nms

No, I’m sorry

I live in Belgium and as long as there’s no profit system outside the USA, I don’t see the point of selling

Blurb would get all the money and I would get nothing, a bit unlogic :P 

Posted by
ukaaa
Aug 21, 2007 12:34pm PDT
ukaaa

I’m planning on making a new and better one tho, with all pages made in photoshop, with text next to each photo and stuff

I really really hope the international profit system is set up by then, but I doubt it… :/

Posted by
ukaaa
Aug 21, 2007 12:35pm PDT
ukaaa

wow….seeing a finished product really has me excited…looking forward to completion of my own work…great job on yours….and that’s a nifty animation you’ve got there by the way.

Posted by
forevertues
Aug 21, 2007 12:51pm PDT
forevertues

Yes I know you can pay extra to have the blurg logo removed.  That would substantially eat into my profit.  I prefer to only have the logo appear only once.

Thanks to all

Pat T 

Posted by
pattahan
Aug 21, 2007 1:53pm PDT
pattahan

Incredible! that looks really fantastic! Is that a fly riding a bike? So cool!

I love your animated page flip too!

Posted by
trafnar
Aug 21, 2007 6:21pm PDT
trafnar

Yeah trafnar, it’s riding a bike :P

it’s like, my ‘thing’, this Mr. Fly series, people on Flickr love it so I keep making them :)

Most involve flies that are alive, including that bicycle one, that’s what makes it so interesting I guess

thanks for the comment too forevertues! :)

Posted by
ukaaa
Aug 22, 2007 1:49am PDT
ukaaa

@ukaaa: incredible photobook. Excellent photos. Brilliant imagination!

@pattahan and fellow book-makers for the issue of the logo: I remember reading in a Blurb discussion at dpreview, that a book-creator searching for a "cheaper" logo alternative, made small stickers with his own logo. When he got the Blurb books and before sending them to clients, he sort of stuck them on top of the Blurb logo.

Not an automated solution, but rather easy to implement (and cheap!)

Yannis (http:/www.larios.gr)

Posted by
larios
Aug 22, 2007 4:17am PDT
larios

Of course, that’s a smart and cheap solution!

You could print your logo on those special sheets of sticky paper, like the name tags/labels we had on our schoolbooks as kids, labels to put on VHS cassettes, etc… that kind of stuff but full A4 size sheets

I’m sure it’s available in a good hobby shop :) 

Posted by
ukaaa
Aug 22, 2007 6:37am PDT
ukaaa

You say that logo is placed on the last page. But the picture you’ve shown shows that the next one after "tagged" page is a regular page with an image so it’s not the last one. I’m confused.

Posted by
ripek
Aug 24, 2007 2:07am PDT
ripek

That is an optional page. It can be added at the discretion of the author.  That is the blurb copyright page.  If you add their copyright page at the beginning of the book that will put a second blurb logo into your book.  I use a blank text  page to write my copyright.  By doing that the blurb logo will only appear once on the last page.  The logo that appears on the last page is unmovable.

Pat Tahan 

Posted by
pattahan
Aug 24, 2007 3:49am PDT
pattahan

Yup, as Pat describes nicely :)

Posted by
ukaaa
Aug 25, 2007 5:26am PDT
ukaaa

I’m getting a lot of great feedback on this book and many people want to buy this book or a next one I make

But when is the international profit system gonna be set up??I’m really considering moving to Lulu or something else to start making some profit! And I’m sure I’m not the only one

Blurb is really missing a lot of income because of this problem! Is there an estimated date when the system will be working?

Posted by
ukaaa
Aug 26, 2007 1:10am PDT
ukaaa