General Interest

First book review

So…i got my first blurb photo book today and decided to post a review. overall, i am very happy with the quality of the book, after reading many many discouraging posts, i was really worried about the end result. I ordered a 7×7 book with 134 pages. 

Book quality

• Good binding, no missing pages, etc. 
  • dust cover looks great, very glossy, good quality images
  • the cropping was not as bad as i’d read, none of the pages got trimed too much.

Paper/photo quality

• after reading all the posts, i was expecting flimsy pages but the thickness was not bad at all. it’s definitely not as thin as people have commented, it’s thicker than magazine stock
  • the disappointing element was the photo quality and the loss of some vibrant colors. i admit, it could be due to user error but i have used other photo book services like shuterfly, and their quality is far superior, even without optimizing images first.

Overall, i will order more books in the future but will most likely stick to larger formats. I completely agree with other blurbarians, we need to have better paper and perhaps glossy finish options. i know i will be happy to pay more for a better quality product.

good job blurb!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
yummyducky66
Jun 9, 2008 8:47am PDT
yummyducky66

I just got my second book back today and was very pleased. Both books are 7×7. The first was a one-off that I got a hardback of-it’s only 44 pages. The second is 70 pages and I ordered paperback copies so far. I was so happy with the first batch I ordered a hardback copy already.

I have had no problem with image quality. This book is a lyric book for my band and has images of CD covers and posters that have been produced in Corel Photopaint. I know Corel is not the choice of the pros but it has worked well for me and I don’t intend changing anytime soon.

Paper and binding quality is also good. In a previous post I admitted to being nervous about this book as there had been many negative postings. My anxiety was unnecessary however. Blurb is amazing for someone like myself who wants a professional looking way of archiving images for very little money.

My only complaint is that the barcode on the back cover obscures a line of text. The fact that this is allowed to happen when using templates seems a little thoughtless.  

Personally I like the 7×7 size…it’s quirky and for this project was perfect. The cover design is based on a 7 inch record cover.

Posted by
simonlevene
Jun 11, 2008 2:13am PDT
simonlevene

I read on the forums that some of the printers blurb uses add the barcodes to track printing jobs, i got lucky and my book did not have one. it would be so much better if they printed the barcode on the last page maybe, instead of the back cover.

Posted by
yummyducky66
Jun 11, 2008 11:37am PDT
yummyducky66