General Interest

Locked Revisions should be easy

To revise just one page of my book, I need to upload the whole thing? A hundred page book  took some bandwidth and time. C’mon programers. With numbered pages in a data base, let us repair and upload one page at a time when needed.

Posted by
bertjoy
Jul 23, 2008 10:46pm PDT
bertjoy

Hello bertjoy;

We ALL share your pain… but… at this time, once a book has been uploaded, there is no way to edit, change, update, replace, or otherwise revise that book…

The Blurb ethos is to consider each and evey upload a " unique finished article "...

Furthermore, if you do make any changes, and re-upload, you will be required to buy a copy of the "new book" to enable public display (after the first 15 days free-view…)

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Jul 24, 2008 1:12am PDT
lkb-28

Hi. 
I offer all three versions of my book for sale.  To create my softbound and cloth wrapped versions, I needed to add additional pages, which works, but frankly is very problematic.

It’s problematic in that it creates two bookstore URLs.  Subsequently, my single book has to appear in two different bookstore URLs, and updating my websites and keeping customers informed of where to buy is doubly labor intensive as a result.

Can’t you get BookSmart to consolidate, and print out all three versions from ONE simple upload, and just have buttons to specify whether the cover flap-replacement pages can be tapped and used as required?  It woul certainly make thing a whale of a lot easier for us to update and renew our products.

Plus, if you could consolidate the bookstore pages to show all versions on a single page, and priced in a single pricing index, that would truly be an improvement.

Moreover, the different bindings require individual ISBNs if they are to be used in libraries—you know, those buildings that are full of books.

It seems that it would not require large output on Blurb’s part to allow its creators to revise without uploads.

Posted by
gregorama
Nov 25, 2009 10:04pm PDT
gregorama

Lee,

Where there is a will there is a way.  Just because you haven’t done something, does not mean that it is impossible to do.  Every book that is sold yields adequate profit to you folks to be able to finance hiring someone who can make this happen.  

I wish Blurb would be more candid about what future developments it has in the planning stages, so that we could plan accordingly;.  Each new version is truly an improvement, but it would be nice to get some actual real live feedback on our suggestions, as to which ones are taken under advisement, versus those which end up just being wishes the content generator’s part.

Posted by
gregorama
Nov 25, 2009 10:08pm PDT
gregorama

Have their been any updates from Blurb, since these comments were posted, on the subject of rectifying mistakes without having to buy another copy?

Monica Weller

Posted by
copperknob1
Jun 18, 2012 6:46am PDT
copperknob1

I second that emotion.

Call me idyllic, but I wanted to make a couple of very small changes to my book and was somewhat non-plussed that it couldn’t be uploaded as, essentially, a replacement/overwrite of the existing book without requiring me to order further copies, too.

Posted by
nigeollis
Jun 18, 2012 8:22am PDT
nigeollis

Hi all,

There have been numerous changes to the policy surrounding this since this post in 2008. First, a book no longer meeds to be purchased by the author in order to sell a copy to someone else. That said, a revised upload still needs to be purchased by someone within 15 days to remain in the bookstore.*

*Bookify created books can be updated without the need to purchase again.

-Craig

Note: Locking post due to age.

Posted by
csm
Jun 18, 2012 11:22am PDT
csm Icon_staff