General Interest

Why not sell downloadable pdf's as well?

I understand that your primary business is printing but couldn’t you also offer us the option of selling downloadable pdf’s of our books as well?

I doubt if it would replace book sales. It would represent additional profit opportunities for both of us if we agreed to split the revenue.

Just a thought – but is this something you are considering?

Thx 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
olafw
Aug 20, 2008 12:41am PDT
olafw

It’s an interesting idea, but would require a lot of development as the PDF that BookSmart generates is optimized for printing and is far from a "normal" PDF.

Just curious – if you could purchase a PDF of your book, what would you do with it?

Jack

Posted by
JackLyon
Aug 21, 2008 6:52pm PDT
JackLyon

Apologies for the delay. Been on a short holiday.

I’ve produced a book via Lulu on the Antarctic 18 months ago. It is a work of photography plus environmental advocacy. I’ve had quite a large number of downloads of the pdf e version.

My idea is that there is another market out there. Maybe it is a ‘long tail’ of people who are curious enough to spend a few Pounds but not interested enough to spend say £15 – 20. More of a spontaneous purchase whilst surfing?

Posted by
olafw
Sep 5, 2008 10:32am PDT
olafw

yes I would like a (high quality) pdf of my book as well..

In fact I think I could make a case that the pdf assuming it gives the sense of how the spreads look and has a bit of elegance to it is the MAJOR thing I need.. rather than the hard copy book itself 

Posted by
davidhj
Oct 31, 2008 4:22pm PDT
davidhj

Same here.  A lot of the people that I know who do these as digital scrapbooking or photo albums are also entry-level (or higher) archivists.  These types of people (me included) would be happy to pay extra to have a pdf copy that can be backed up in case the physical copy gets destroyed.

Posted by
sierrakuo
Jan 26, 2010 3:21pm PDT
sierrakuo

Not only for backup but there are sites that will host a PDF like issuu.com.  It would be nice to have various links from my site to the books I have done on that site.  Now that you can create a PDF and have a book published from that, individuals can post a copy of the PDF there as well as send it in for publishing.  The real issue is past books.  The thing is, prospective buyers can view the book on Issuu but then buy the book on Blurb.  So, Blurb will still get their pound of flesh.

Posted by
Nikon_Boy
Feb 4, 2010 10:04am PDT
Nikon_Boy

I would also really like this feature. I’ve put a lot of work into some of my books, and it bothers me that I can’t export them in a standard format. This is important to a lot of people <del>-</del> see http://www.dataliberation.org/ for example.

Posted by
hbmcmahan
Jan 5, 2011 7:43pm PDT
hbmcmahan