General Interest

Publising book option(s) versus the competition

I am a big fan of blurb, but you almost lost me yesterday as I was browsing and came across Lulu.com and saw that not only do they print your book but they have additional option to put your book into amazon.com and barnes and nobles.com and give you an ISBN with a flat rate fee.  I was all ready to go when I found out they didn’t have the option for full color photobooks.  So i defaulted back to Blurb because I prefer them over lulu printing-wise.  So my question is, will this type of service ever be available to your customers?  I am sure a lot of us would like to journey off furthur than just the blurb bookstore.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

Also as a side question, if my blurb book has an ISBN number (that I obtain through my own independent efforts) is there anyway you can input that and a barcode onto your book in BookSmart and have them print it? Or how does that work?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Marcello1985
Aug 22, 2008 12:35pm PDT
Marcello1985

I’ve added my own ISBN and barcode to my book – take a look at the preview on A Photographic Journey Around… Gower in my profile and on the back cover you’ll see my barcode. I did all my layouts in Photoshop so it was easy to place the barcode on the back cover. In the UK, the ISBN agency don’t provide the barcodes so you need to do this yourself. Search for ISBN in these forums and you’ll find a link I put in for a free generator.

Amazon is a problem in that they will only pay 40% of the cost of your book, so for me I would make a loss on every Blurb book sold through Amazon. However, my book is on Amazon anyway as a function of having an ISBN. You’ll probably find the same with Barnes and Noble (I’m not familiar with them). Lulu probably don’t do anything extra other than allocate you an ISBN – appearing in the library is an automatic thing and Amazon automatically picks it up.

Posted by
dasantillo
Aug 22, 2008 10:27pm PDT
dasantillo