General Interest

Arts & Photography as two separate bookstore categories?

Hi, fellow Blurbians –

Just an idea that popped into my head when I was over in the bookstore… it seems that the "art" books: drawing, painting, collage, photos of sculpture, sketchbooks, etc. are drowning in a sea of photography-only books.

What would folks (staff or otherwise) think of pulling the two genres apart into two separate entities? 

I know this isn’t in the spirit of artistic "togetherness" and I’m not AT ALL intimating that photography isn’t "art" – no way! I was simply musing over how the category of "Arts and Photography" has become a mixing pot that contains not only books of paintings, for example, but also books of wedding photos all fit together within one category.  That seems confusing for a book-buyer. Wouldn’t it make browsing easier if they were separated?

I guess this leads to another question – do the staff monitor that the categories are being used properly?

Anyway – not complaining… just throwing out some talking points.

My best,

Megan 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
redmeg8
Aug 27, 2007 1:04pm PDT
redmeg8

Good idea.

Love your website…you are extremely talented

Keep smiling;)

Posted by
pictureme
Aug 27, 2007 1:27pm PDT
pictureme

great call. i agree completely (am im finishing my bfa in photography) . and as for monitoring, im not sure if they do, there’s apoetry bookm in the cooking section. hahahttp://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/32789

Posted by
darkartjames
Aug 27, 2007 6:41pm PDT
darkartjames

Hi redmeg8-

We noticed the need for that distinction too. Not long ago, we actually created two new categories in the bookstore for exactly this reason.

1) Fine Art Books
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/category/Fine+Art 

2) Fine Art Photography Books
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/category/Fine+Art+Photography

That way, both art-focused photography and art books have their special places.

As for monitoring what book goes in which category, that isn’t something we currently do—we leave that up to the author for a variety of reasons. The main one being: we wouldn’t want to go against the wishes of an author and recategorize a book based on our own opinion.  

Anyway, we’re adding and removing categories all the time, so definitely let us know what  you think!

Posted by
JackLyon
Aug 27, 2007 7:39pm PDT
JackLyon

Hi Jack – Wow! I totally missed those options! I should learn to read more closely… unless they were added in the last week, or so, after I published. :)  

I’m really glad I can change categories, btw. Which I just did.  Thanks for responding.

And pictureme – thank you too! 

Posted by
redmeg8
Aug 28, 2007 6:58am PDT
redmeg8

hello redmeg8,

i was pondering what my next book would be when i came across your illustration books. i was planning on illustrating a series of short stories i wrote back in high school. but once i saw your pencil drawings it sparked me to thinking about all the sketches and drawings i had done from my highschool years. some of them make me cringe now because of either the subject matter, young angry boys draw strange things, or the talent level, but i wanted to keep them nonetheless. so i’m going to compile, scan and prepare them for a ‘personal past sketchbook’ of sorts.

thanks for the inspiration and love your work. i admire stylized artists, but i’m a true fan of the discipline or realism. for what it’s worth.

anthony

Posted by
harrio
Aug 31, 2007 11:05am PDT
harrio