General Interest

Gathering pictures---the best way?

I live in the US and I have family in Australia and I am creating a family history book.

In your experance what is the best way to gather the pictures they have and be able to share ALL the pictures with all the family.

I have been told about flickr.com but it will cost $25 for our needs. Anything better?

Keep smiling and thanks

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
pictureme
Oct 5, 2008 3:39pm PDT
pictureme

You could try photobucket.com or if you’re a mac user try .mac (now mobileme).

A cheap option could be if you already have a hosting account for a website or a webserver you could set up an ftp account for your relatives to upload to.
This could also be made in-house, you need an ftp server program (you can find free ones on the net), then subscribe to a free dynamic dns service like dyndns.com and you would have the pictures uploaded directly to your computer. MIND SECURITY!

Cheers

Posted by
nefer81
Oct 5, 2008 10:08pm PDT
nefer81

You could also just try our GroupBook feature, which is free. Watch this video to learn more, or to get started, open BookSmart, click on the "Invite Contributors" icon in the upper right hand corner, and select "New Contributor Project." This way, you can have each invited family member upload up to 30 high-resolution photos each that you can import directly into BookSmart.

Posted by
JackLyon
Oct 6, 2008 3:16pm PDT
JackLyon

can photos from professional photographers be used? Even if you dont know who did them because it does not say on the photo?

Posted by
rosah
Mar 12, 2009 11:19am PDT
rosah

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you don’t know who took the photos you cannot ask for their written agreement to use those photos, and without that permission you are likely to be breaching their copyright.

I know a lot of people doing family albums and family histories (I must add including me!) gloss over that with old photographs belonging to family members, but I would never do it in any other type of book.

For a quick outline of some aspects of copyright have a look here. Although it refers to use of photos on the Internet all the points apply to use in other published media including books.

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

.......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 12, 2009 11:37am PDT
tfrankland