General Interest

Selling on Amazon?

I was curious if anyone uses Amazon.com to sell their blurb creations… is it possible & how does one go about this? 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
wildflowr
Oct 10, 2008 6:07pm PDT
wildflowr

Can you get your blurb creations on Shelfari.com?

Posted by
wildflowr
Oct 10, 2008 7:58pm PDT
wildflowr

I don’t have an Amazon answer yet, I’m trying to figure out how to get my own upcoming work released into the wilds. Looking into Shelfari it looks like you can send a copy of your book to them for DB addition.

http://www.shelfari.com/Faq/Authors.aspx

I’d like to know how to get into the traditional circuit of booksellers as well but know this is probably a fairly difficult challenge. Not much info out there for those doing photo/essay books, a lot of info for paperback/manuscript. :(

Posted by
ciordia9
Oct 15, 2008 7:19am PDT
ciordia9

I also found you can add your own on Shelfari, go through the steps to add any book and you can create a book w/ all the info.

I looked for a group of photography related publishers and didn’t find one, so I started my own. Maybe we can use each other as leverage, assistance, and support.

http://www.shelfari.com/groups/29642/about

Posted by
ciordia9
Oct 15, 2008 7:49am PDT
ciordia9

Hi,

in general I suppose the procedure is similar to that what is necessary in Germany where I live.

There are only 2 basic steps  :

1. get an ISBN number ,which should be printed inside and on the jacket !!

2. And you have to send some copies to the registering asdministrations.

To get ISBN number costs some money and it might by worth while to check whether it is reasonable to buy only one number. 

As soon as you have an ISBN number your book can be sold worldwide under this number.

I am sure you will find websites that explain how to get a ISBN in the US.

http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/us/isbnqa.asp

Posted by
editionh
Oct 20, 2008 12:42am PDT
editionh

thats is the bad part, when you have to send a number of your books to registering asdministrations, like here in Ireland I think you have to give away about ten books…. Thats expensive at the end of the day

Posted by
irishphoto
Nov 23, 2008 10:46am PDT
irishphoto

This has been discussed in other threads. My two cents …? well you need to know your market. I sell books based on events. Land speed racing in particular. I have a very narrow market but it is well penitrated because the attendees know there is a strong probability that they will be in the book.  go beyond just the images and include sponsors and records set. That makes it almost the official record of the event for many and they expect one annualy. This is the perfect place to build and market that sort of book. I don’t believe that simply my photography would be of any interest to anyone but me (and maybe my mom) so building a book and hoping to sell enough to make it profitable is, IMHO, not going to happen.

I have also built several books with different covers. Same inside just the cover is different. Booksmart makes that very easy. 10 or more books for your race team or sponsors gets you a discount and YOU on the cover.

As is always the case, you gotta have a clear vision of the project and then decide what the right tool is to get the job done.

Scooter

Posted by
Grubb
Nov 23, 2008 6:51pm PDT
Grubb