General Interest

"Washed out" colors: "Premium" paper.

I was, generally, quite pleased with the results of the first two Blurb 120-page (non-premium paper) hardcover (wrap) photo books I recently made and ordered. .

The colors, however, were “true,” i.e. as I saw them on my (calibrated) monitor: vivid, crisp, pleasant. .
I have, however, serious doubts about the book binding’s strength to withstand much page turning…

I have just received my third 120-page book. This book was created with the exact same hard- and software (and cameras:Nikon D-70 & D-300) the the two previous books. It is on “premium” paper. Please note that I make it a point to keep the photos’ sizes/resolution within the recommended sizes.

This book is a major disappointment in that the colors appear lifeless, dull, and washed out and make the photos uninteresting..

Has anyone had this experience with “premium” paper ?

II realize that the printing, etc is, most probably, a fully automated process with minimal (if any) practical human intervention., However, is there no quality control during the process ? When things go wrong the fault lies either with the photos submitted and the process could be stopped and the book’s author notified. If the fault lies with the printing process then it could, possibly, be corrected at the source.
J-J

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
J-J
Nov 13, 2008 4:04am PDT
J-J

i dont know which paper was used for my book, my mother bought it and mailed it to me

but i noticed that the largest sized book came out much darker, lifeless and lacking where as the two smaller books came out perfect (except for the few pictures i added which where dull but those are issues on my end)

i tend to get the image wrap and only do a picture on the back the rest is black and i have noticed three things … there is a noticable crease that shows white from opening the book (only been opened a few timesbut it was noticable right away), any type of oil on your hands shows up on the book and people do not wear gloves, last is that the two books i just recieved have ground in marks from what i am guessing is either printer or on the way to be packaged and shipped… they both have the exact same damage lines in the same area

Posted by
thuillier
Feb 25, 2009 6:34am PDT
thuillier