General Interest

Shipping price

I have just finnished a book and processed the order. The cost is 17,95 euro and as I was ready to order it, here comes the shipping price to Greece: 80 euro!!! Is this possible? For a 7*7, 36 pages book? Of course I cancelled the order…

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
ilias
Sep 3, 2007 1:35am PDT
ilias

There may be a bug with our connection with UPS…currently looking into this

Posted by
norcaljhawk
Sep 3, 2007 8:15pm PDT
norcaljhawk

i have also just put forward an order for my book. Cost $54.00 Shipping $226.00. I have cancelled my order . I import tech books ex New York via normal postage to my PO Box and on average I pay $10.00 for a $35.00 book. So if Blurb wants to do business here in South Africa I suggest a closer look at alternate ways of shipping the books.

Posted by
bullseye
Sep 4, 2007 4:01am PDT
bullseye

Come on Blurb! This is a huge issue and your are heading for a serious nose dive with orders. There is absolutely no point in running a book through for print if normal shipping costs are in excess of 20% of the order – and even that is pushing the limit. Take a look at other mail-order companies.

Posted by
sonofido
Sep 4, 2007 4:42am PDT
sonofido

I’m a regular and loyal customer. I already made three books in the Art and Photography section, ordered (and received) several copies of them.
If I write to you today (and I hope for a quick answer from you) is because I’m shocked. Yestarday I finished my fourth book (The old couple), I uploaded it and I wanted to order it when I saw that the shipping price (UPS standard) jumping from the 13.56 euros (the price I always payed until now) to an incredible 32.41 euros!!!

I don’t remember me moving to Patagonia. I still live in Paris, France (not Paris, Texas) and if I’m not mistaken, my books are now printed in Holland which is around the corner from France. Is it a bug on your site that made the shipping price (32.56 euros) bigger than the printing price (28.95 euros)?
Can you give me an explanation, please. I hope you are not pushing me back into the arms of Lulu.com.

Posted by
hayon
Sep 4, 2007 9:26am PDT
hayon

Damn!

I’ve been working on my first photo book for months, if not years and two month back I decided to go with Blurb instead of the original plan to go with Lulu. Now, when I was so happy to finally have finished my book I find that the shipping for my book which cost $29.95 is $90.02!
NO WAY I’M GONNA PAY THAT !

This can’t be correct!  

I was so happy an hour ago, now I’m devastated. Now I’m back at square one. And I’m off to Lulu…

Posted by
ssahlander
Sep 4, 2007 9:47am PDT
ssahlander

Wanted to order sample book (10E) and shipping cost is 54E ;) You crushed me!

Posted by
ripek
Sep 4, 2007 10:11am PDT
ripek

This is an issue we are actively working with UPS to resolve. I wish I could give you a target time for a fix to be deployed but unfortunately they (UPS) are not willing to provide that at this time.  Stay tuned to the forums as we will notify the community once this has been resolved. We share in your frustration and can only ask for patience.

Know that we are actively looking for alternatives to UPS but, unfortunately TNT and the Dutch postal service are not offering an improved solution to what we have in place with UPS.  We are working with our Dutch print partner to identify a solution.

Posted by
norcaljhawk
Sep 4, 2007 11:03am PDT
norcaljhawk

Ok Blurb I am now getting fed up with the postage problem, I ve been waiting 1.5 years now for decent postage prices – and I’m not alone.

Please explain why you cannot put the book in an envelope, box whatever,  put stamps on  the envelope and put the envelope in the post !!

This is what I have already posted concerning postage :

Here’s my particular case :  book $21.95 (78 pages) postage to Switzerland $56.33

Sending the book from Switzerland to Holland (weight 400g) via local post is as follows :

Urgent 1-2 days Chf 41.- ($34)

Priority+ 3 days Chf 18.- ($15) 

Priority  3 days Chf 13.- ($11)

Economy    5-8 days Chf 8.-  ($6)

If I can send my book for around $6 from Switzerland (which is one of the most expensive countries in Europe) to Holland why can’t you do it for around $8 – $10 !!

Looking at Lulu  : book $34.95 (110 pages) postage to Switzerland $8.15 / book $83.28 (398 pages) postage to Switzerland $14.62

Lulu’s european printer is in Spain and they have "correct"  postage prices !!

Why are you even looking at TNT? Any private carrier will be more expensive than normal parcel post.

Please explain what the real problem is, you will shortly be losing all the european customers, if that is what you want just say it out loud and we will switch to Lulu or whatever.

Paul
Switzerland 

Posted by
MeMyselfAndI
Sep 4, 2007 11:56am PDT
MeMyselfAndI