General Interest

In need of help and advice

I live in a small village in the South West (Lowlands) of Scotland and for the past year I have been compiling a community book of the village, its inhabitants and the surrounding area. This book is to be 10×8 landscape hardback 78 pages with individual photos names etc.

This book is primary for the locals of the village and their families (some who have emigrated) It is intended to make it available at cost price with profit not an aim. It is a collective community project which we hope will become a sentimentally valued book which will be treasured for years to come.

Having read some of the comments and printing issues on other threads and advice on how to avoid bad finished products and not understanding how or what is being said, I would like to know if there is a resource which would let me download one or two pages to be viewed to ensure that I will not end up with 78 pages of rubbish because I have done it wrong.

If anyone knows if there is an address where I can send the the page (or two) I will appreciate your help.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
dg8
Dec 26, 2008 2:58pm PDT
dg8

I don’t know how you can only print one or two pages.  But one option would be to make a copy of the book (using file – save as) – identify 20 pages in your book that you feel would be representative of the feel of the book – and the ones that you would be most concerned about  (maybe you have a few pictures that are a little darker and you want to make sure they will be okay in print, etc) – and delete the rest of the pages, leaving you with a 20 page book that won’t be quite as expensive.  Upload and order that one to see how you like the results. 

I hope that helps.  Good luck!

Regi

Posted by
rbgool
Dec 26, 2008 9:30pm PDT
rbgool

Good morning Regi – sorry for taking so long to answer your email I’m not long awake. My main concern is the many difference’s of individual photographs, some were taken outside and they have a range of deviations – some bright and some not so bright. The indoor photographs are more obvious depending on the lighting in the individual homes.

I have printed out test pages and made adjustments as and where needed and generally happy with the printed pages – but will they be ok at the printers?

Sending any large amounts of pages would only increase the cost of the overall book which is an option which could jeopardize the project due to the limited access to our community funds.

Thanks for that suggestion I will explore this option further to see if it is financially feasible.

Many thanks.

Posted by
dg8
Dec 27, 2008 2:43am PDT
dg8

Robert,

I think Regi’s suggestion of printing a proof book is your best option, but can I suggest a slightly different approach. This would let you test the quality of the photos rather than be a proof of your page layouts.

A 7" x 7" book would be printed on the same presses and use the same paper  as your 10" x 8". So if you created a book that size, imported a representative selection of your photos, you could create a small 40-page test book (you could do less pages but there would be no reduction in cost) . Order that as a softback and it would just cost £6.95 plus shipping. Economy would be £3.44 according to Blurb’s shipping calculator.

You are right to be careful. If your monitor is calibrated and you use it in the correct lighting conditions you will get a pretty good match between the book and what you see on your monitor. But there is a tendancy for people to turn up the brightness on their monitor to compete with the lighting in the room. When that is done you get a false impression of the lightness/darkness of the photo  and it will oook as if Blurb have printed it darker than you expected, but the issue is not with Blurb but with your editing environment. If you want a bit of help with this side let me know, it doesn’t mean you have to buy calibration hardware (though that always gives the best result).

Out of curiosity what is the timescale for the publishing of your book? Have you the time for an iteration or two?

.........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 27, 2008 3:59am PDT
tfrankland

Sir, in all respects to your knowledge in this subject, my I humbly confess to being a wee bit illiterate to the workings of publishing a book. As the village idiot who volunteered to take on this role and with no understanding on what is involved, any help is valuable.

As for time scales, no time has been set, as long as it is done before I’m kicking up the daisies (dead) which could be anytime in the foreseeable future.

This calibration thingy!! – This is way over my thick heed (head) and I think I can afford your suggestion for a test page, better to lose £10 odds than £30. odds. – cheapskate Lowlanders comes to mind.

All the best Tony – I wish you and your clan to be happy, healthy, wise and wealth. – blessing to all.  

Posted by
dg8
Dec 28, 2008 2:35pm PDT
dg8

I’m sure we can get together on this to make sure of your sucess! Preferably before you fertilise the daisies.

I’m half Scots on my mothers side (an Inverarity), though she claims that as The Bonnie Prince got as far as Derby I really live in a part of Scotland whatever the Sassenachs may have to say aboot that.

My e-mail is tony_frankland (at) btopenworld.com   just replace the (at) with @ (it’s to fool the spammers who have "spiders" that trawl through the net looking for e-mail addresses to add to their spam lists).

If you want to slip me an e-mail we can easier exchange information and advice, if you want to that is, no pressure.

Regards,

..........Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 28, 2008 3:05pm PDT
tfrankland

question, how did the book go? did the smaller book with sampling of pictures turn out well?

did you have to alter the book a few times to get it right? 

i’m not scotish in any way…though i do love a good kilt and i look like a lass from the isles (natural red)

Posted by
thuillier
Feb 25, 2009 5:57am PDT
thuillier