General Interest

Locked Is anyone selling their Blurb.com books on Amazon.com?

If so, I wondered what your experience was? What conditions they impose, and so on. I had heard that they required proudcers to keep an inventory on hand.  Anybody know about this firsthand?

Thanks,

Greg

bisonwerks@gmail.com

Posted by
gregorama
Feb 3, 2009 11:42am PDT
gregorama

Whilst you are waiting for replies Greg, try a search of the forums for "amazon" and you’ll find quite a few posts where selling books there has been discussed.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Feb 3, 2009 1:03pm PDT
tfrankland

I searched but have not found them.  Perhaps I am searching in the wrong place?  I wil go hunt some more.   

Posted by
gregorama
Feb 4, 2009 7:32pm PDT
gregorama

My book, Loud Talker, is on Amazon. I don’t push it though, since due to the high printing costs and the fact that Amazon charges 50%, I can’t make any money selling there. I think it would be tough to sell Blurb printed books through any of the std book reseller channels as they all charge a pretty high discount, so to make money you have to price yourself out of the market.

To answer your inventory question, they start off with a low initial order ( I think mine was 3) which they pay for up front (50%.) After that they re-order as needed, and the volume of the re-orders are based on how the book is moving.

The book I just finished, Where Discovery Sparks Imagination, is being printed in Hong Kong, where I can get it printed for less than $8 in qty 2000. The same book on Blurb cost me $64.95. BUT, I do still print 10 or so on Blurb to use for advance copies to send to reviewers, jacket blurb writers, etc. I can get the Blurb books in less than two weeks, it takes 2 months to get the order from China.

Bottom line, I still love Blurb, and I still have them print some of my books, but for books I plan to sell through resellers in larger qty I use an alternative.

Posted by
vintageradio
Feb 24, 2009 2:49am PDT
vintageradio

I think $8 a book is a good price for what I am assuming is offset printing. However, in checking with local offset (quality) printers in my area and nationally, you might be surprised to find that if you can handle the spreads yourself and know enough about prepress production, that there are printers out there willing to print 2,000 books for around that price or less, full color throughout and no China hassle or delay, with probably much better color and control. In fact, you can do a press check, talk directly with the techs, set files to their specs and keep the work local, where everyone wins. I know in the recent past a quality printer simply was not affordable for individuals, but today, you can find those who want to work with you and even help distribute and store inventory. Just a thought. I am getting one done now, just 500 at around $13 a book, 10×10, not hard cover, that’s usually a separate bindery- around $5 extra per book (!) but heavy 16pt card stock with much higher quality paper and satin finish. The costs go down exponentially the more books your order, to around $8 or less per book for 1500 or so. 

By the way, to Greg, the only reason Amazon is taking 57% is that particular program,  where they handle just about everything. You don’t really need that package. I will sell with them where they take 15%, 2% stocking and fees. If you get the books to them in quantity, its much better than making 5-7% from traditional retailers and book publishers. Blurb is great for spec books to work out designs and all that, for a few books at high prices, good quality, etc, you can’t beat it. But for heavy sales, why not do both? 

Posted by
Phil_Howe
Apr 18, 2009 12:50am PDT
Phil_Howe

I just finished a book with color photos and text. It took some time to make it in BookSmart. How do you recommend sending it to another printer since I made it in Blurbs program? Does anyone have a website of the cheep printers and any info on how to distribute them from there would be great! I’m new at all this.

Posted by
Apryl00
Dec 20, 2010 12:24pm PDT
Apryl00

I would also LOVE to know where all of these cheap printers are! Before i found Blurb i asked around for quotes and was getting crazy prices. Blurb has been good for me to realise my design and get my book out there, I’m having to sell it at a high price though, as the Blub prints are bespoke. This doesn’t do me any favours  in the long run and i would like to get a volume run to sell in bookshops..so any one know any quality cheap printers in the UK..do tell!

Posted by
littlered6
Dec 23, 2010 5:18pm PDT
littlered6

I was thinking about selling my next Blurb book on Amazon but am having such success with Blurb and am so happy with the result that I think I’ll wait.

Posted by
digifan
Mar 1, 2011 6:20pm PDT
digifan