General Interest

Lyrics copyright?

Hey there,

I was just about to order my Portfolio/Photography book, when I started reading about copyright and got a little scared. I’ve included 2 songtexts in my portfolio, since they were my inspiration for some photographs. Now could I get into trouble for that?

I would be really bummed if I’ll have to take them out, but am very willing to do so to avoid problems. It’s not my main goal to make money out of my book, it’s just a portfolio to show my creations and what inspired me…

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Me, being anxious to order my book

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
flyingeva
Feb 7, 2009 2:40pm PDT
flyingeva

Yes, lyrics are copyrighted and you cannot use "fair use" policies that stipulate that prose shorter than 50 words can be quoted verbatim (after giving due credit) without requiring permission or other IP issues.  However, not so with lyrics apparently.  I wrote a book a few years ago on a prosaic research area of electrical engineering where I started each chapter with a favorite lyric that acted as a pun on the material but they made me remove it at the very last minute.  Man was I p***sed.  I tried getting permissions but that is quite difficult (contact original record company, or band, or manager …)

That said, if it’s just your little thing for personal use, it shouldn’t matter I think.  Don’t ask don’t tell and all that.  However, just to be sure, I would make sure that it isn’t visible in the first 15 pages of your preview (if you want to keep it public) or some a55wipe trolling through the bookstore might call you on it.

Posted by
pmurthy
Feb 10, 2009 4:32pm PDT
pmurthy