General Interest

ISBN's

Hi All, I’ve found the website for adding single ISBN’s

http://www.publisherservices-us.com/ipporder.htm

but now I wonder if I need a seperate ISBN for hard and soft cover versions of my book to sell on Amazon.com, someone told me because they would be different prices then they need seperate ISBN’s?

Does anyone know if this is true?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
snark8
Sep 13, 2007 5:26pm PDT
snark8

Hi snark8

Yeah that’s the best place where you can get ISBN and bar code in a few hours.

About your question…

Sorry to say that but if you want sell a soft cover version you have to order a new ISBN

see ya on Amazon … ;-)

Good luck for your selling

Warmest rgds / mC

Posted by
massimoconti
Sep 15, 2007 1:37am PDT
massimoconti

I ordered my ISBN number and barcode from Publisher Services www.publisherservices-us.com. They recommend not using Photoshop as it will automatically rasterize the image and may ruin the scannability of the barcode. They recommend; Adobe Illustrator,Adobe Pagemaker, Freehand. Microsoft Publisher (does not open EPS files )Microsoft Word (cannot save as jpg)Quark Express. I used Adobe Indesign.First create a document, use the place command to insert the EPS file, then export as JPG.  Publisher Services advises against resizing the barcode as it may affect the readability but Booksmart shows a question mark so I re sized it slightly until the mark vanished.

Posted by
Vercingtorix
Jan 2, 2009 9:40pm PDT
Vercingtorix

just want to point out a quick frame of reference to Adobe PageMaker, Adobe no longer support or update PageMaker. The correct product should be direct or known as Adobe InDesign CS4.

Hope that helps.
Cheers, Brian {a passionate Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jan 4, 2009 3:36pm PDT
brianbonitz

Sorry I should have mentioned that because I found that information in my research. I dont really know how to use layers, so I experimented with cutting and pasting, trial and error, to place the barcode in my rear cover image with a white background. you can do that with Photoshop Elements or any good image editing, and its almost WYSIWYG. Is there any advantage to placing the barcode using the layer function, does this give a more readable image?

Posted by
Vercingtorix
Jan 5, 2009 11:29am PDT
Vercingtorix

I looked at a copy of "An Orgy of Playboy’s Eldon Dedini" (the artist who did all those buxom female cartoons in Playboy published by FantagraphicBooks and the barcode was placed inside the back flap of the dust jacket as they did not want to obscure the small images on the back. I ordered this off Amazon so I wonder whats the big dea about putting the barcode on the back?

I am having some issues with the barcode, when I export is as jpg and open with Photoshop elements, then paste it into the image it shows up too small. So I enlarged the image before pasting but that sacrifices the quality of the image.

Posted by
Vercingtorix
Jan 6, 2009 2:25am PDT
Vercingtorix

I am an American citizen, although I live in Canada.  Am I able to use this service, or do I need to make use of a Canadian alternative?  If so, does anyone know of such an alternative?

Any help is appreciated.

-Elijah Teitelbaum

Posted by
elijaht
Jun 28, 2009 9:02am PDT
elijaht

Hello,

I am also having problems with my barcode. Do not have Adobe Illustrator…what else have you used? Is there any other way?

Thanks so much~

~ Gabriela ~

Posted by
GDelworth
Aug 19, 2009 12:13pm PDT
GDelworth

Thanks for that tip about publisherservices us.com !! It was only $55 for an ISBN, whereas I was just about completely scared away by the ‘main’ company that does this for only $255 per number. I want to sell the book in three styles, so that would have been pushing $800. No thanks! Will never have much profit at that rate. Got to watch these businesses that are out to "help" you, like some of the domain companies (Some want $50 per year for a domain name, others $5) etc.

Posted by
MarkMiller
Sep 5, 2009 9:23am PDT
MarkMiller

I checked the website publisherservices. $55 is also a lot of money for 1 ISBN. I’m an amateur phototog w/2 books on Booksmart. My photos are pretty good  but I don’t think the books would sell a lot of copies. If you want to offer different cover options or sizes, $55 for each one can be prohibitive. I don’t think very many of the books on this site actually sell to people other than friends or relatives.

Posted by
loricherokee
Sep 6, 2009 7:36am PDT
loricherokee

I just completed my first Blurb book. I am really pleased but I needed to make some corrections and add ISBN. I kept it private. Like Gabriela, I only had Photoshop to add barcode,as none of the other programs would open it. The yellow warning sign comes up. I want to upload the new improved book for sale but I need help. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Loretta

Posted by
jensen26
Oct 10, 2009 11:01am PDT
jensen26

I got my barcodes onto my books without Photoshop or any special program.  After I made the barcode, I uploaded it as a JPEG and then added it to my photos in Booksmart for that particular book.  On the back page of the book, I made a small image container and inserted the barcode into that.  I then pretended it was a photograph and I centered it (align center, don’t crop) in the box.  I used the zoom feature and made it a bit smaller; just had to gauge the size by using "preview book."   The yellow triangle was still there; it got to be too small if I kept going until it disappeared.  Anyhow…I have printed books with it on the back and they are all fine.  You can check my books and the back covers at

Posted by
camack
Oct 10, 2009 11:31am PDT
camack

Also…there is a site to order barcodes and ISBN numbers for free…..it was posted on the Forum somewhere…..if anyone needs the info, let me know and I’ll post it.

Posted by
camack
Oct 10, 2009 11:57am PDT
camack

Thank you for your help. Your books are great. I was especially impressed with your daughter’s book. What a great feeling for her to be published! I took your advice and just uploaded. I will go public soon. My title is "A Treasury of Zuni Beaded Dolls". Hope you give it a look.

Thank you.

Loretta

Posted by
jensen26
Oct 10, 2009 2:41pm PDT
jensen26

Hi Loretta:

Oh thanks for the comments.  My daughter actually does not know about her book, that I put it into printt.  I’m getting one for her for a gift for Christmas (might give it to her 2-yr. old instead) as a "surprise."  She’ll flip out!  I just finished my son’s book…he doesn’t know about it either.   I don’t think either one will go to my Bookstore and find them…hope not anyhow!  Wish I had more to put into print!

I DID try to find your book.  I did a search of the title and a search of your name….and nothing came up.  I clicked on your photo and your name that are there by your posting on this page….I got to your info page but could not find your books…could not find anything on that page to click to see your books.  Maybe I’m missing something?   Anyhow….this is not good news for you, if people know about you and your book and still can’t find them!!!  Unless it is just me of course!!   I would like to look at your book….so if you can post the address to your bookstore as I did I’ll look it up again.

Posted by
camack
Oct 10, 2009 3:16pm PDT
camack

Oh sorry…now that I re-read your posting….I see you’re not public with it yet!   No wonder I couldn’t find it!!

Posted by
camack
Oct 10, 2009 3:18pm PDT
camack

I just got my book with the isbn number. It came out great just as you said. I listed it under Crafts and Hobbies – " A Treasury of Zuni Beaded Dolls". Hope you find it.

Thanks for the great advice.

Loretta

Posted by
jensen26
Oct 20, 2009 6:44pm PDT
jensen26

Loretta…How did you do your ISBN with the two boxes?  I only did mine with one, without the price.  I’m assuming your second is the price?  Let me know what you did to get the two.  Thanks.  Cathy

Posted by
camack
Oct 21, 2009 7:27am PDT
camack

Cathy,       I’m not sure what you are referring to. The back of the book has one barcode box. I scanned it as a jpeg and then uploaded it. I typed in the ISBN on the copyright page. I didn’t show a price.

Loretta

Posted by
jensen26
Oct 23, 2009 4:11pm PDT
jensen26

Hi Loretta:  You have a second little barcode beside the big one, with 90000 on it.  I didn’t get that when I made mine…I just have the one bigger barcode with the ISBN # on it.  Just wondering what that little one was for?  And how you got it…???   Maybe it doesn’t mean anything…just wondering, as mine all came up without it….  

Posted by
camack
Oct 24, 2009 8:24am PDT
camack

The main part of the EAN is usually followed by a 5-number code which contains the suggested retail price of the book. The first digit of the five indicates the currency: 0 for the British Pound, 5 for the U.S. Dollar, 4 for the Canadian Dollar. The rest of the code indicates the price. The code 51095, for example, would signify a price of US$10.95. A supplemental code of 90000 indicates that the book has no suggested retail price. Scanners in bookstores in the U.S. cannot read the Bookland EAN code without its 5-digit add-on.

You’ll find this and more details on barcodes for books here.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Oct 24, 2009 2:45pm PDT
tfrankland

Thank you, Blaine! Exactly the info I was looking for.  And thank you, Tony – as informative as always!

-Danica

Posted by
barreaud
Oct 30, 2009 11:48am PDT
barreaud