General Interest

How does Blurb.com compare to Lulu.com?

I’ve published two books with Lulu.com, and I’ve been happy with the results. I didn’t even know Blurb.com existed until the other day. Now I’m wondering if maybe Blurb might be even better than Lulu in some ways? If so, maybe I’ll try it out.

Has anyone here used both? How would you compare the two?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
chillowack
Feb 17, 2009 12:27pm PDT
chillowack

I’ve used both.  Lulu was less expensive, but Blurb’s quality was much better. This is for a book printed in the US, BTW.

Posted by
vintageradio
Feb 28, 2009 11:45pm PDT
vintageradio

I have tried both as well when it comes to printing photobooks. At Lulu I also did one with text inside and that was fine.

The photobooks I have printed through Blurb has been excellent, and has the look and quality of photo books you’d expect to find in bookstores.

At Lulu I did once try their option for a photo book. Upon opening the package and viewing the cover all looked fine, but when I opened the book it would be an understatement that I was disappointed. All the pages inside looked like bad xerox copies.

Based on this I would say the quality of Blurb books is far superior to that of Lulu. I know for sure that I will stay with Blurb for future printing.

I think my blurb books were printed in Switzerland, at least that’s where they were sent from. Probably because I am based in Europe. Also I got the books fairly quick.

Posted by
KHamre
Mar 9, 2009 12:05pm PDT
KHamre

I have also tried the photobook option at Lulu and was greatly disappointed.  Not only in the quality, but the fact they have such FEW options available.  Once I saw the options at Blurb I was sold… then I recieved my first copy and was even more impressed. 

If you’re looking to produce photobooks, Blurb is the way to go.  If you’re mainly going to have text in your books, Lulu is the way to go.

Hope that helps.

Posted by
Fight2Fly
Mar 10, 2009 7:12pm PDT
Fight2Fly

I tried to upload a photobook on Lulu and the cover image was not showing properly.  After glancing over the many negative comments in their forums I decided to go with Blurb instead.  I have just received my first Blurb book and I was most pleased with the quality of the printed images.  It actually did look much like my original art!

However, for my novel I will probably publish through lulu because I do not want to try and refoormat it into theBookSmart format.

I will be sorting out other photobooks via Blurb.  I have so much art!  I need to showit off somehow.

Posted by
lemurkat
Mar 26, 2009 12:23am PDT
lemurkat

For some time I had a comparison between the two on my web site.

I had so many hits to it I had to take it down a few months ago as it consumed my entire monthly bandwidth quota…

I’ve just reinstated it:

http://www.daepublishing.com/pod/PODExposed.html

Posted by
cbnewham
Mar 26, 2009 7:18am PDT
cbnewham

I looked at both, and chose Blurb. It seemed to make more sense to me.

Posted by
koolkat
Apr 20, 2009 7:12pm PDT
koolkat