General Interest

Anyone from Australia published and sold?

I am interested in anyone’s experience from Oz…..

How did you go about marketing and selling? How did the currency conversion affect costs?

Did you get an ISBN and barcode?

I am putting together a cookbook…what sort of book did you publish?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
tubefeed
Feb 24, 2009 11:47pm PDT
tubefeed

Published one book. Marketting was word of mouth – the group was local and relatively small. As far as I know, the promised ability (mid last year IIRC) to convert currency on book profits has not arrived.

For my book, the order was taken from here (was for about 12 copies), one person volunteered to do the single order of 12 copies, then profit + exact payments happened as they were doled out here. Not perfect (in fact, annoying), and it could really only happen because of the local nature. The advantage was reduced cost of shipping and volume discount of 10%.

You could do similar by allowing people to view it at blurb, but put a high price on it to get them to order direct from you. You’d have to keep a stockpile, but would get them for the reduced shipping and volume discount at the cost of local shipping charges. Or you could hammer blurb to get a move on with profit currency conversion (and hope the banks don’t slug for exhorbitant fees).

Posted by
mcarthur
Feb 25, 2009 9:33pm PDT
mcarthur

I just received my cheque in the mail from sales of my book. The bank wants to charge a "currency conversion fee" that is more than the value of the cheque!

Posted by
TimChuma
Sep 15, 2009 2:45am PDT
TimChuma

Hi Tim,

We just started processing checks in AUD$ earlier this month, so maybe you got a check in US$. If so, write into customer support to see about reissuing your check in AUD$.

Hope this helps.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Sep 15, 2009 10:42am PDT
kathybad

They told me to send my cheque back and wait to get a larger amount or just wait until Paypal is implemented next year.

Posted by
TimChuma
Sep 17, 2009 5:15am PDT
TimChuma

Hi Kathy and all…I just sent a letter in to customer support re this matter.

Basically I have waited six months since selling books last year, to receive my first cheque….but not before blurb pull out nearly 25% of my profits as a suprise accounting fee.  Now the cheque arrives and my bank inform me that they will take almost the whole amount of that cheque as a fee to deposit it.

So….i wish to return my cheque and have the whole amount of profit paid direct debit to an account, or thru paypal, or as a cheque to my partner who lives in the usa.   ANything would be better than watching everyone else make money on my years of creative work and me get nothing.

Hope you have some good news for us!!

Posted by
sunshiine
Jun 27, 2010 6:05am PDT
sunshiine

@Kathybad

Your link to customer support goes to a dead end (page not found) so is not much use.

I have sent emails to as many places in blurb as I can with regard to this matter but still not heard back..   I Need to have my last cheque withdrawn/cancelled so I can get all my funds either paid in australian dollars or direct debited, or thru paypal, OR failing that, issued as a cheque to my partner in the USA so he can bank it.

The current situation is ridiculous.

Posted by
sunshiine
Jun 28, 2010 11:10pm PDT
sunshiine

Kathy’s link was from last Septemner before a revamp of the web site.

At the top of this page ho to the Help menu and select Customer Support, from the resultant page select the Contact Support tab.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jun 28, 2010 11:54pm PDT
tfrankland

Hi sunshiine,

Sorry to hear that you haven’t been able to contact us. Tony is right about the old email address for customer support, but I went ahead and updated in the above post just the same. Once you are in the system, we usually respond within two hours or so. 

We searched through our support system and did not find an email from you so someone will reach out to you. Look for an email from us soon.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Jun 29, 2010 9:03am PDT
kathybad