General Interest

How long does it take to get a book

Hi. I sent my book to blurb two weeks ago? Dose anybody know how long it takes to get a book back?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
alken
Sep 18, 2007 2:15pm PDT
alken

We’ve been running a bit behind with some of our products but your order shipped today.  You can check it’s status and get your UPS tracking number at the My Account section of blurb.com.

Best,

—bw 

Posted by
bruce
Sep 18, 2007 2:23pm PDT
bruce Icon_staff

Where in the country are you? I placed two orders to San Francisco (on 8/28 and 9/9), which each shipped in 2 days (from the Seattle printer). I placed two orders (same book) to New York on 9/9, which still haven’t shipped. Would have been faster for my New York books to print in Seattle and ship longer!

Posted by
mikeness
Sep 18, 2007 8:52pm PDT
mikeness

This makes no sense. You placed an order on 9/9 and it shipped two days later. I placed an order on 8/30 and, three weeks and counting, it STILL has not been shipped.

Posted by
michaelinga
Sep 19, 2007 9:45am PDT
michaelinga

Well, it makes some sense. Blurb uses more than one printer – apparently the Seattle one (for shipping to CA) is fast, but whichever one is printing for my NY shipments is backed up. My guess is you’re not on the West coast.

What city is your order shipping to?

Posted by
mikeness
Sep 19, 2007 12:29pm PDT
mikeness

Bruce:

Can you check on Order no. 71744?  Order place 9/9; shipping promised 9/18; order status shows still "processing"; inquiry sent in via customer support form but no response received from that inquiry.

Thanks.

Lew 

Posted by
madskipper
Sep 20, 2007 8:41am PDT
madskipper

I’m in the San Francisco Bay Area. In the last month, I’ve placed two separate orders for a 7×7, 40 page paperback. Both times they shipped within two to three business days of the order and were delivered by UPS in the usual two days from Seattle. So time from order to receipt does seem to depend on where you live.

Ann

Posted by
AnnBrooks
Sep 20, 2007 9:00am PDT
AnnBrooks

Shortly after I posted my note an hour ago, I received a very general reply from support letting me know that they are running 2-3 days behind the "promised" shipping date.  Unfortunately, the reply failed to provide me with any information about the status of my specific order.  

Posted by
madskipper
Sep 20, 2007 10:04am PDT
madskipper

Blurb,

It is absolutely no excuse for not having “real time” feature. I have seen eCommerce website out there that address the information.

It looks like that Blurb probably have very cheap ecommerce app that doesn’t have any real time workflow.

GET the BEST one, or you guys will be losing customers! And losing some big business. We, customers, are not stupid! And most of us are wearing very thin!

Posted by
brianbonitz
Sep 20, 2007 1:32pm PDT
brianbonitz

Hey Brian –

We appreciate your activity in the Forums, so we thought we’d address your comments as specifically as possible. Without naming names, the eCommerce system we use is what most experts in the Internet industry consider the absolute best. And believe me, it’s certainly not inexpensive. I’m not sure what you mean as far as "real time" status – are there other site examples you could share? Additionally, we think we communicate every useful status available to our members. First, when a book is first ordered, we provide an estimated ship date as soon as possible. Secondly, once the book is shipped, we provide a tracking number as soon as it’s available from UPS.

As communicated earlier in this thread as well as other areas of the Forums, we’ve had some hardware issues this week which we’ve been pretty up front about. These problems have slowed the production times of some books, and we’re doing everything we can to get things back on track in the next day or so.

The one book that you ordered from our bookstore earlier this year appeared to arrive within 7 business days – so from what I can tell you’ve hopefully had a positive eCommerce experience.

Thanks,
Jack

Posted by
JackLyon
Sep 20, 2007 6:23pm PDT
JackLyon

My book apparently did not ship this week so it looks like they are at least one week behind the promised ship date, which means about 3 weeks since I uploaded.   <sigh>.   It would not be bad if support would have answered my inquiry with a specific statement about the status of my book, rather than we are 2-3 days behind generally.   Would someone at Blurb please let me know when to expect shipment?

Posted by
madskipper
Sep 22, 2007 11:59am PDT
madskipper

Hi madskipper –

Sorry for the delay – this is due to the hardware issues we were talking about. According to the UPS tracking number you’ve been provided, your book should arrive tomorrow – two business days longer than the typical order time. Thanks for your patience, and let us know what you think of your book!

Jack 

Posted by
JackLyon
Sep 24, 2007 11:12am PDT
JackLyon

I suppose I’m a victim of the backed up orders…It’s a about 4 business days past the “estimated” ship date….which is an estimate of course….but I’m just so anxious to see the final product….
Keep up the good work burb….meanwhile, I’ll wait patiently here.
cheers!
Alex

Posted by
forevertues
Sep 24, 2007 12:50pm PDT
forevertues

Heh….I take that comment back….order is now officailly shipped. Yay! I can’t wait to see the book in my hands…Thanks Blurb!

Posted by
forevertues
Sep 24, 2007 2:32pm PDT
forevertues

I have been waiting for my book and when I click on the UPS tracking link it says Billing Information Received under status.  Unlike FEDEX it should tell me a little bit more like where the heck it is!!

Posted by
leesie
Sep 25, 2007 8:38am PDT
leesie

Hi leesie –

You should have a look at the UPS status again. We’ve noticed that it occasionally takes UPS up to a full day after they’ve provided you with a tracking number to have your shipping info available up on their site. 

Thanks,
Jack

Posted by
JackLyon
Sep 25, 2007 6:27pm PDT
JackLyon

To close this loop:

My book arrived last night, about 3 days after the initial promised date.   The product is spectacular and exceeded my expectations in every single respect.  I’ve showed it to a few friends this morning who were astonished.   I will be ordering again for sure.  

Other than the delay, I would give the product a 10.  Let’s call it a 9.5.

Lew 

Posted by
madskipper
Sep 26, 2007 7:59am PDT
madskipper

My book shipped on 9/26. Right on schedule.  I’m glad they call the problems resolved.  I can’t wait to see it!

Posted by
bubbacat
Sep 27, 2007 6:59am PDT
bubbacat

To re open this loop….. I still have not received my order from 9/11 !!!  UPS still says the same message "Billing Information Received".    So much for giving it as a gift on time.  I just hope it did not get delivered as a wrong book to some one else.  No way of contacting shipper for details either?!?

Posted by
leesie
Oct 1, 2007 9:17am PDT
leesie