General Interest

My own Blurb experience diary - every little step as it goes....

I have seen so many posts about various issues, that I decided to contribute my latest story and to update it step by step as it goes…. Hope it’s useful for other Blurb users.

Please note that I do update this topic as things happen. So here we go…..

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
larios
Sep 19, 2007 7:37am PDT
larios

I have been using Booksmart 1.8.1. I know it’s slow. I know it’s supposed to crash other people’s computers. But it works on mine!

I selected 60 of my photos from Paros island (samples are here). I compiled a photobook with Booksmart 1.8.1. It took me almost 3 days (evening work). The end-result was looking good. All photos were imported at full-size 300dpi

No crashes or whatever! In the recent past I complained to Blurb for putting the files on Drive C: by default. Mine has almost zero space. Was sure there was going to be a system slowdown when using Booksmart. But nothing happened! So I went on and submitted the book.

It took almost 30 mins to upload the book and the whole thing was easy.

Posted by
larios
Sep 19, 2007 7:41am PDT
larios

I ordered the book on September 15, 2007. Blurb says it will ship on September 25 so I guess I will be having it at around Sept 28. Almost 13 days after ordering. Thumbs up Blurb for that!

The shipping costs remain an issue. My hardcover landscape 10"x8", 120 pages, is at €28. Shipping USPS standard costs are at €25. Ι complain. I write to them on Saturday 15, 2007 as soon as I see the charges.

They respond early Monday (thumbs up for the quick response!). They say that this is "normal cost", much reduced since the past. Well, it is better than the past, but still too high.

Nevertheless, the book is in preparation.

Posted by
larios
Sep 19, 2007 7:47am PDT
larios

Paros - Beyond crowded eyes

The photobook entitled "Paros – Beyond crowded eyes" is on the bookstore in public.

But hey! I cannot fix the price! I live in Greece, Europe, so I cannot actually get any profit from it….

So the bookstore is USELESS! It may increase exposure but If I get no return, there is no point in having people buying it without me setting the parameters!

I make the book private again. What a shame! But then I short-circuit the system…..

I make a copy of the cover page. I save the pdf preview. I upload them to my Shop at my own site. I put the book on sell, by using Paypal.

It works! Check my Shop at my website for the final result of cover+preview: click here

Posted by
larios
Sep 19, 2007 7:52am PDT
larios

It’s Wednesday 19,2007. Still 6 days to go for my book shipment.

What! I new e-mail from Blurb saying the book is already dispatched! Wow! Ordered on Saturday 15, printed in two days, shipped on Wednesday 19 !!! 6 days earlier than scheduled!

Good news! Thumbs up Blurb…. So now I am getting excited and waiting to check it’s quality and of course a bit anxious about the "binding" issue (what some problems with the last book of Santorini)

Will keep you posted while my Blurb journey continues….

Posted by
larios
Sep 19, 2007 7:54am PDT
larios

Thanks for this …

Posted by
Ian_Boys
Sep 19, 2007 2:17pm PDT
Ian_Boys

Having the UPS tracking code is nice….. But UPS has probably gone crazy!

Yesterday evening it showed my book flying from the Netherlands to Germany and then to Italy. Today, the Italy thing is erased, and we are back in the Germany step!!

Posted by
larios
Sep 21, 2007 12:04pm PDT
larios

Yeah I had the same thing, my went from US to Canada, to Sydney back to US and then to Brisbane!

Posted by
digitalr
Sep 24, 2007 4:37am PDT
digitalr

Well my Blurb book arrived at Sept 25,2007, earlier than expect overall!

The packaging was good and the book was shrinkwrapped, although not bubbles. The packaging is similar to how Amazon.co.uk ships books so it’s ok. Mine came to Greece from the Netherlands.

The colour reproduction was faithful and I was amazed by the good quality even though I had some difficult sunsets included! The overall setup and purchasing experience was even better than my first book so I am really happy about it. Stitching was hard this time, although I keep my fingers crossed.

I am setting up a new post with details of my Blurb book so as to check for yourself. You can find the continuation of this story and photos from the photobook, by clicking here.

I am actually so happy, that I am going to order a reproduction of some copies for friends! Thanks Blurb.

Posted by
larios
Sep 25, 2007 1:20pm PDT
larios