General Interest

ISBN. LCCN, PCN Copyright et al

U.S. Book publishers – how many of you have taken the steps to obtain the Library of Congress Preassigned Control Number (PCN), Library of Congress Control Number (LCCN), ISBN or registered their copyright?

This is all new to me and I have completed each item in the process for publishing my first book. Thoughts?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
dilbert1965
Apr 27, 2009 9:53pm PDT
dilbert1965

Hi,

From a previous post I obtained the US site, below, that provides ISBN numbers/barcodes: http://www.publisherservices-us.com/.  I found it very quick and easy to do.

I paid for just one to try it out.  It is more economical to buy several at the same time.  Now I have difficulties with getting the barcode onto my back cover.  I used Corel Paint&Draw to save the file.  Should have saved it as an Acrobat Illustrator or Pagemaker file, I think.  In Corel I seem unable to save the barcode file as a jpg or pgn.

When I follow the instructions that came with the ISBN # and bar code, nothing works.  Is there anyone out there who could suggest some workable options? 

If all else fails, I guess I could always pt the barcode on sticky labels and attach them to the covers after printing.

Thanks,

Gerry

Posted by
EchoPrints
May 6, 2009 7:12pm PDT
EchoPrints

I checked on Library of Congress numbers and it will be 3 1/2 months to get it. I had planned on completing & selling the book next month in the blurb store. Do I have to wait until I get the LOC number?

Posted by
Layla_Pub
Sep 7, 2009 6:42pm PDT
Layla_Pub

My friend photo-shopped the ISBN bar code onto the photo I used for the back cover. It came out just fine. I got the ISBN from Aardvark Publishing.
~Trish

Posted by
TrishStrat
Jan 20, 2010 5:40pm PDT
TrishStrat

This site is the U.S. ISBN agency Offical source for ISBN numbers in the U.S.

http://isbn.org/standards/home/index.asp

Posted by
Blue2004
Jun 18, 2010 10:59am PDT
Blue2004

I did the same with my books. Worthwhile steps if you’re serious about marketing your book.

Posted by
mack1604
Apr 28, 2011 1:45am PDT
mack1604