General Interest

Books for Clients

I’ve had a couple people approach me to create a photo book for them because they have seen some of my books and like the unusual page layouts I created.  Because my books have been for me or family members the copyright statement used have been okay.

My question now is how do I write up the copyright page since the photos will not be mine?

Do I share the copyright with the client since the photos belong to them and the layout designs are mine or do they loose that right because I am the one creating the book – please advise.

Also please provide an example of what could be used for a book for a client.

CJAYJR

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
CJAYJR
Apr 28, 2009 10:28am PDT
CJAYJR

I’m not positive on this – but, I would think the book design would belong to you.  There is enough room in the copyright box to include a notation about the photographs.  I would make sure that the owner of the photo’s gives you something in writing that the pictures belong to them – You could maybe include something in the copyright box like this:   "Photographs contained in the book are privately held by (bla bla bla)"   But for sure get something in writing that states the people that are providing the photo’s own them.

Posted by
Bebensee
May 1, 2009 10:31pm PDT
Bebensee