General Interest

QuarkXPress?

I’ve noticed a lot of people in the forums say they use Adobe InDesign, but I’ve not so far seen anyone say they use QuarkXPress. I was brought up with QXP and only switched to InDesign when Quark announced that they would no longer support QXP on the Mac.

They retracted this statement shortly afterwards, but it was too late—I had already switched to InDesign, and immediately found it to be a far more versatile and generally superior product in every way.

So, is anyone still using Quark?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
friendlymole
May 1, 2009 2:59am PDT
friendlymole

I started using QuarkXPress in the mid 90’s
Really hated that program, but it was good for laying newspapers.

InDesign is a much better program.

Posted by
chrisz170
Jun 2, 2009 3:58pm PDT
chrisz170

I switched to Adobe InDesign from QuarkXPress and didn’t look back since then. As you may know, the cust svcs at Quarks were terrible for years, so I switched to Adobe ID since then. And already has been on couple of versions since InDesign 1.0, all the way to InDesign CS4, as part of Adobe Design Premium CS4.

Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Jun 3, 2009 9:03pm PDT
brianbonitz

My department is still using Quark. We have thousands of files spanning a dozen years that are filed away on our server or backed-up.

We studied switching to InDesign, but the time it takes to re-do old templates, was just not efficient enough. Plus, our staff found that InDesign productivity was much slower than Quark.

We studied this objectively, and our staff has had extensive training on InDesign and we’ve taken several projects and switched to InDesign, for our study.

Hands down, the timing to produce work in Quark has proven faster, and more efficient.

One reason for the efficiency is using existing templates, but the other reasons were cumulative, such as faster scroll speed, and screen refresh, less mouse movements to and from the tool palette, etc..

For now, we will continue to use Quark, but will use InDesign for smaller projects.

Eventually, we may need to switch, but we are very pleased with Quark.

Posted by
iboden
Jun 12, 2009 11:55am PDT
iboden

My coleagues and I switched from Quark to InDesign 3yrs ago and have never looked back!!

Took some getting use to at first but once you are use to it its definitely a much better program.

Posted by
nayburger11
Aug 14, 2009 2:39am PDT
nayburger11