General Interest

Quality of the finished product

We received our book orders today.   The quality of the cover is not good.  Where the book folds to open and close the print is wearing off leaving a thick grey line.  It looks like is spreading and the line is getting thicker.  It’s almost like the paper is separating from something.   Also the quality of the pics inside the book are not good either.  They are very grainy.  I don’t understand.  We have a 21 mega pixel camera and on our computer screen they are perfectly clear.  In the book the print is horrible.  We have made book in the past and the print quality was a lot better.  I made a dog book and the camera we used back then was only 8 mega pixels and the print of the pics in that book is a lot better.  We order the same kind of book which is the hard cover image wrap.  I am so disappointed.   The whole soccer team has been waiting all season for this book and now I am embarrassed to show it to them because of the quality inside and out.  We put a lot of time into this book and it’s very disappointing to see the outcome turn out like this.  I wonder did they switch to a different vendor?  Is there a solution to this problem?  I have possible 18 people who want to order this book.  I would not pay $75.00 for the quality of this product.  Please help I am freaked out and upset.  The book is expensive because it has 290 pages and not becasue we raised the price.  The whole point was to show off all the great shots of pics that my husband spent all year taking pics of all the soccer games.  To even show the book looks like we too the pics with our cell phone.  

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
rvneil12
May 14, 2009 8:03pm PDT
rvneil12

When you say your images looks great on your computer monitor, and it looks badly on book.

The question I have… Is your monitor properly calibrated with a hardware calibration device?

What book size did you work on your most recent book? How do you process your image that is too large, probably too large to fit right into book’s container? How do you process your images with imaging editior app? Photoshop CS4?

You mentioned that your book has 290 pages. Did you actually did the proof test with only 20 to 30 pages just to make sure that your images looks great on test book? If you had the opportunity to do a test book, you probably could be of discovering some issues that you are seeing now, with that 290 pages book.

Have you consider to contact customer service at Blurb about this issue regarding print in question? But I am afraid that you had left out some basic details as to what kind of image editing app (such as Photoshop CS4 or any other third-party image editing apps out there), did you actually soft proof these images?

Hope that helps. Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
May 14, 2009 8:56pm PDT
brianbonitz

You need to contact customer service regarding your book.  They will replace it for you – they will request that you take a photo of the problems for their review.  Blurb is very good about standing behind the quality of their books.  You can get advise in the forum but you need to contact customer service – or have you – maybe I missed that in all your posts in various forums.

Posted by
Bebensee
May 14, 2009 9:25pm PDT
Bebensee

I took a quick look at your preview – and the pictures appear to be very clear in spite of low resolution of the preview -   very nice by the way! 

Posted by
Bebensee
May 14, 2009 9:30pm PDT
Bebensee

We take them in raw format and use lightroom.  We use either lightroom or photoshope to process them

Posted by
rvneil12
May 16, 2009 5:30am PDT
rvneil12