General Interest

Print quality of hard cover book

After much anticipation my first Blurb book showed up the other day. I have to admit that I was pretty amazed by the print quality and the binding. I think that the book would easily fool a typical Barnes & Noble shopper. The only thing that would give things away is the absence of the typical 16 page signature. The dust cover was first rate. I used black as the background on most pages and found only two pages that had white spots, a very minor issue. The book is mainly of digital photos and is 150 pages. The bleeds are great and I could not find any misalignments in the book.

I’m looking forward to doing more books this way. Since some users have found quality issues based on book size, I will be interested to see just how much variation exists for print and binding quality. If I understand things correctly, Blurb uses many print shops which may lead to quality variations. Also, if the print method changes based on book size, this may also lead to variability. I guess a lot of experimentation is in order although not something that an end user would want to do.

All in all, Blurb is the best personal book publisher I have found so far. The software, by the way, is first rate and puts most others to shame.

So far, I’m a big fan.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
glaszlo
Sep 28, 2007 5:46pm PDT
glaszlo

Glaszlo:  I just received my first photobook order.  My anticipation was probably on the same level as yours.  I had photographed many football pictures of my grandson’s games and the books are to be gifts for the coachs.  When they arrived I was afraid to open them as I feared I would be disappointed.  However, they were absolutely beautiful.  I edit all my photos in Photoshop and print my pictures on an Epson 3000.  The pictures in my books matched the print quality and color to a tee.  I have also looked at many other photobook websites and Blurb beats them in price and the ease in which to put them together.  I would just love to see them print the cover photo on the cover. 

Fun Fotos

Posted by
FunFotos
Sep 29, 2007 10:50am PDT
FunFotos