General Interest

Do your text only books sell?

I’m curious as to how well books that are primarily text only, i.e., collections of poetry, short stories, etc., sell at blurb.com?  The web site seems to be predominantly comprised of books of photography.  Or, am I mistaking that perception?  It would be interesting to know what motivates people to buy books here.  Is it the photography?  Is it the artistry or the presentation?  Do people need a cool coffee table book?  (j/k on that last one!)

I have three primarily text only books available publicly in the bookstore.  People look at them, certainly.  There is plenty of evidence of page visits.  But, other than someone I know, no one else has been tempted to buy them.  I’m a completely unknown author, which certainly explains a lot of this.  But, there seem to be many unknown authors using the site as well. 

So, if you are a text only author, and you’re having success with sales of your books here…can I ask how the heck you’re doing it?  :o)

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
jaxonmadison
Jul 15, 2009 6:19am PDT
jaxonmadison

I too am an unknown author, and I agree with you that Blurb seems primarily for photography books. How many text only books feature in Staff Picks? Very very few. I’ve only sold my memoir (mainly text, with some B&W photos) to those who know me, despite the large number of page visits. I’d also like to know what motivates unknown people to buy…

Posted by
pitruzzo
Jul 20, 2009 9:18am PDT
pitruzzo