General Interest

anyone sold any books?

Hi, could someone please tell me: have you sold any books? how many and what sort book is it? tell me the name if you will.. just wondering what the chances are to sell

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Catherine19
Aug 3, 2009 1:53am PDT
Catherine19

I tend to think of the Blurb Bookstore being like an eclectic book shop hidden away down an alleyway. The chances of anybody passing, popping in and buying a book are remote, but that book shop would survive if it had a decent marketing/advertising campaign.

With the Blurb book store it is up to you to develop a marketing campaign for your book and to point people at the book store saying you can buy it here.

If you do a search of the forums for "marketing" you’ll find responses to people who have asked a similar question to yours.

My books were meant for friends and family (well, to be honest, primarily for me!) so I haven’t made any effort to market them but out of curiosity I made two public to see what happened. I made one sale of this book.

Best of luck!

……Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 3, 2009 2:26am PDT
tfrankland

Either my brain stopped working for a bit or my fingers didn’t type what my brain told them to. Looks like senility is getting a bit closer than I thought Frown

Search for "marketing" to get other people’s input on that, search for "books sold" to find responses to people who have asked a similar question to yours.

Sorry about that.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Aug 3, 2009 2:37am PDT
tfrankland

I think Tony’s right in saying that it’s up to the author to produce a marketing campaign to sell a book. I believe Blurb is a site primarily for book-makers rather than book-buyers or readers.

Since my book became a ‘Staff Pick’ it’s had a huge number of hits/views, but most of my sales have come from people I know: very very few sales have come from others. In this last week there have been over 800 hits (and rising!) without a single sale. Maybe no one liked it in the 15-page preview (although no one said so in the comments); I don’t see the book as expensive (I have only a tiny mark up/profit from each sale… Mmm…

Posted by
pitruzzo
Aug 9, 2009 2:59am PDT
pitruzzo

I agree with Tony – people may stumble on your book but if you really want to sell it then marketing is the way to go.

At first I too got excited by my hits – but soon realised that I was not getting any sales. I have since created a Squidoo lens, blog and website. The Squidoo lens is dedicated to my book and the blog and website are on the book subject with a link to purchase book. Seems to be working so far although the website is new, so not had any sales from there yet.

Also I purchase my books in batches so that I can deliver them direct without the customer having to wait for the book to be printed – this seems to help.

Here are my sites in order of creation

http://www.squidoo.com/Dachshunddog

http://www.dachshundluke.wordpress.com

http://www.dachshundluke.com

Posted by
wyrm
Aug 14, 2009 1:03am PDT
wyrm

I too agree…

I managed to make $1500.00 USD (in profits) in less than 4 months with one campaign. Although I didn’t keep track of the number of book sold, Blurb probably made anywhere between $2500 and $3500 out of my marketing campain. During that same period of time, none my other "public books" sold. Which is what I had expected.

You need to look at the trends, come up with your own book concept, study old and new marketing conceptsmethods but mostly, you need to think outside the box!

Good luck Catherine!

Sophie :)

www.sabookdesign.com

Posted by
sophieadd
Aug 21, 2009 10:56am PDT
sophieadd

I wish I could hire Don King… wait, would that be good business?

Posted by
ahriman
Sep 2, 2009 6:28am PDT
ahriman

I check out the Bookstore just about every day to see what other people are doing. It looks to me like the majority of books there are weddings, new babies, other pretty limited personal memories. I don’t think they get a lot of sales except for family members, friends, etc. I’d be interested in blogs from the people who have done the beautiful travel books to see if they made any sales.

Posted by
loricherokee
Sep 3, 2009 9:46am PDT
loricherokee

I released  a book about combat photography in the sport of Airsoft & Milsim gaming ( think paintball but with smaller faster bb’s) I created a site and sent press releases out to all the major Airsoft sites, podcasts picked up on it,the majority of sites picked up on it, I created a Twitter account to provide updates and even printed a set of Moo cards to hand out to prospective buyers.

So far I have to say that I’m gutted at selling only 15 books since June, the sport is quite niche, the book looks amazing ( well I would say that!) but I do think its the pricing that’s killing sales, I get about 45-70 page hits on Blurb, I get an absolute ton from the main site but all this work and effort for 15 books has really taken my enthusiasm down a notch.

While I cornered the market and released the first ever book of its kind in the world I think pricing has been the biggest sales killer and I took the hit on the recent hike in Blurb prices so my customers didn’t.

I can’t offer any advice but would say think very carefully how deep you want to jump into self publishing.

Posted by
CHACK
Sep 10, 2009 3:53pm PDT
CHACK

Sophie,

I have some questions about your marketing techniques and book design services. I don’t see how to reach you! Can you send me an e-mail with your contact info to mark@spectralight.com.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted by
maderemark
Sep 7, 2011 6:27am PDT
maderemark

I just published my book July 31. I have only sold books to family, and only a couple copies. My book is a novel so the price is low, $9.95 public. It is the shipping that jacks up the price.

It is entirely up to the author to market. I see blurb ads on other websites, but I don’t think it is advertised as an on-line bookstore.

I did an interview in the local newspaper and afterwards, an aquaintance bought a copy after seeing the article.

When I approach people (book stores, publishers,etc) they ask for a business card, so I just made one up myself to hand out.

I am in a book show/ writers festival this weekend.

I have posted on facebook.

What you really have to do is get the word out in as many ways as possible. You are the marketing department for your book.

I belong to a group on facebook, they are really helpful the group is "writers unboxed".

I think blurb is just a starting point, you can then branch out to ebooks, amazon, etc.

Posted by
CoburnBooks
Sep 7, 2011 11:30am PDT
CoburnBooks