General Interest

picture size and page formats

is there a place to print out the page layouts with the optimum pictue size so I can easily do all the photoshop work and determine which pics for which page layout.

Thanks!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
PaulChance
Oct 3, 2007 9:51am PDT
PaulChance

Hi Paul. Forgive me, but I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking for. Are you asking if there is a page on Blurb’s Web site with the book page measurements you need? Here’s a link to that answer in our FAQs. Or, are you asking what the photo image requirements are for Blurb books? That answer is here in our FAQs. And lastly, our blog is full of tips for importing your own layouts and it’s searchable, if you need further information.

There is no area on our Web site where we post all the layouts for each book size. To see those, you need to view them in BookSmart. From there, the tool tips will pop-up to indicate the prefered size of the image containers.

I hope that helps. -Allison

Posted by
allibehr
Oct 3, 2007 10:20am PDT
allibehr

hi there,

i think he might be asking the same thing i came here looking for. Is there anywhere online or in the blurb program that a person can see all the available layouts for a given book type? I mean aside from in the tiny window where you choose it for a particular page. and even better would be the actual sizes of all the “image areas” for each of the listed layouts?

Ideally I would like to see laid out in front of me all the page options i have for each book size, to help me choose which size i want to create. Additionally, having this reference would help me to decide on layouts I want to use for my pictures. It’s a bit difficult to have to click on each format to see in the larger window what it actually is. It’s hard to get a sense of what there is to work with when they are displayed so small. It totally works as a tool in the program but not for if i’m trying to learn about what blurb has to offer by way of layouts.

Thanks for all your hard work on this program! I am very excited to use it for all sorts of photo books, just hoping there might be some extra reference somewhere to assist with me taking advantage of all the new layouts.

Posted by
morgiane
Oct 13, 2007 5:09am PDT
morgiane

oops, i should have read allibehr’s second paragraph…guess that answers my question. ;) Well, that’s a bummer & please know that it would be VERY helpful if you were to put a reference like that up on your site. Thanks!

Posted by
morgiane
Oct 13, 2007 5:27am PDT
morgiane

Hi,
Im having a huge problem that I just cant seem to fix. How do I get big pictures to fix with good resolution. Every time I put in a picture, I get a warning about the resolution, and then my picture gets downsized a significant amount.

Posted by
for5471
Apr 12, 2012 10:10pm PDT
for5471

Well, the smart alec answer is, "use big pictures".

You either need to use pictures with higher resolution, or use a program like photoshop to upscale the ones you have.  If you upscale too far, they are going to look crappy no matter what.  Booksmart is telling you that your images do not contain enough pixels.

You haven’t given us much information to work with. Are you using the original images or have they been converted in some way before you are using them? How big is big?

In Booksmart, if you hover the mouse cursor over an image container, it will give you the dimensions of the container.  This is the optimum size that Booksmart would like.  Assuming you are using Windows (Apple probably has the same capability, but I don’t know anything about it), open a Windows Explorer window and navigate to the folder where your pictures are saved.  Right click on the picture in question.  In Windows 7, the dimensions of the picture are listed near the bottom of the window.  If either dimension is less than half of the ideal Booksmart container dimension, you are going to get the resolution warning.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Apr 12, 2012 11:50pm PDT
Charybdis