General Interest

Book Contest Voting

I don’t have a book in the contest (because I refuse to purchase another copy to do so! But that’s another gripe) but I have to wonder why there is a "leader board".  It strikes me as wholly unfair. Voting patterns should be completely unknown until the voting is finished.

It is inevitable that books appearing on the "leader board" will attract more votes simply because they are already on the leader board. It’s self-reinforcing.

There should be no leader board, and those books that are in the contest should be displayed in a randomised way instead of being displayed in the same order every time.

Currently the system is very biased.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
cbnewham
Oct 23, 2009 4:37am PDT
cbnewham

I completley agree. You took the words from my finger tips. I purposefully did not vote for any on the leader board and randomly jump around and viewed the ones that caught my attention. Some of the books did not seem to fit the catagories as well. There needs to be a better system.

Posted by
jgehrt
Oct 23, 2009 5:58am PDT
jgehrt

I have a book in the contest and I totally agree… although I secretly wonder how many votes away from being on the leaderboard my book is.

Posted by
kellyhale
Oct 23, 2009 5:46pm PDT
kellyhale

I despise the leader board. Popular votes are incredibly flawed to begin with when you are looking for quality in the finalists. Why include the leader board and make it even harder for some people to find votes?

Down with the Leader Board!

Also, I don’t get why my book keeps jumping around the page. This contest confuses me.

Posted by
mrbolano
Oct 27, 2009 5:11am PDT
mrbolano

Here! Here!!

This contest has some major flaws…..the books aren’t advertised in alphabetical order….or order of popularity it seems….I voted for a book a page before mine and it has only 2 votes!! RANDOM.

The leader board sucks!!!

Posted by
copperjoe
Oct 27, 2009 5:32am PDT
copperjoe

Meant to say: "I voted for a book on a page before my fav…" I don’t have a book in the contest. Found out about it too late.

Posted by
copperjoe
Oct 27, 2009 5:35am PDT
copperjoe

I agree.. what determines "leaderboard" leader in votes? leader in comments?  It doesn’t say, but we’re all assuming it is lead in votes so far.

I thought it interesting that you can sort by # of comments. One of the books had the same comment posted 8 times in a row by the same user—whose username had the same lastname as the author. So anyone can SPAM the comments of their book to get it on the MOST COMMENTED page. 

Not well thought out.

Everytime you go to the contest page it should have generated 4 random books from each category.  This way 12 random books would get exposure each time.  Without a doubt, I thought some on the leaderboard were overwhelimingly ordinary and unremarkable.   So there presence is likely from the "marketing"push by the author amongst their personal/professional contacts. But, that’s what a popularity contest is about.

Posted by
royalef
Oct 27, 2009 10:23am PDT
royalef

Would Kathy Badertscher like to comment?  :-)

It’s not too late to change how it works on the website (remove the leaderboard), although I guess you won’t change it until next time there is a competition.

Perhaps also next time open the contest to those of us who already have books (and have obviously already bought a copy)  Why should it only be open to those who happen to have made a book recently. It’s pretty unfair.

Anyway, I look on in interest to see if things might change. I shan’t even vote at the moment as I refuse to participate in such a biased contest. Someone currently on the leaderboard will win; anyone entering now can forget about winning as the die is cast.

Posted by
cbnewham
Oct 27, 2009 12:53pm PDT
cbnewham

Hey all,

The feedback on the Leaderboard is great and we’re definitely listening. Too late to do anything this year, but we will definitely revisit for next year. As for spam, we are monitoring the contest in the background, so books with spammed comments will be counted sans the spam.

Hope that helps. 

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Oct 27, 2009 2:00pm PDT
kathybad

Can someone explain the order of the books?  My book is burried back at #220-248 (depending in when I refresh my browser).    I have a good amt of votes but I don’t want to vote for a book above mine just to find out how many votes they have. Some of my friends have commented that it’s hard to find my book.  I know that my book has been on Blurb for less than 30 days so it is not indexed on the site yet.  (according to an email from Blurb 2 weeks ago about why my book doesn’t appear in a search yet).

I’m totally confused by the "leaderboard"  how does one get onto the board?  Is it by page views, comments, votes?   Some of the leaders in my category are not really that outstanding. 

Also, in the future the catagories might need to be defined better.  Pros vs. amatures for example.  Weddings seem to need their own catagory.  Possibly catagories that align more with the bookstore catagories.

Ok, looking forward to your replies and your thoughts on my book.

Rebecca

Posted by
AdoptionLove
Oct 28, 2009 5:14am PDT
AdoptionLove

Hmm, I like your suggestions, Rebecca.  Especially categorizing pros versus amateurs (although that would have to be defined VERY clearly). And yes, there seem to be a LOT of wedding books in there!

-Danica (who is definitely not on the leaderboard)

Posted by
barreaud
Oct 30, 2009 12:31pm PDT
barreaud

I found the number of entries overwhelming. No way I have the time to look at 3500 plus books. Unless you have 449 "facebook" friends and were on the first couple of pages of review not a rats chance do you have. Isn’t there a better way? I would say some fantastic books won’t even make the first cut.

I’ve had over 1000 people randomly review my books the past few months and yet I only get one vote on the contest, sadly, it was my own vote.  

Posted by
dmkilbride
Oct 31, 2009 5:04am PDT
dmkilbride