General Interest

Gift Cards

I wanted everyone to know I would not get a gift card from Blurb.  I got one for my birthday from my daughter.  I rec’d a promo code for a discount also 3 month later.  I finished my book and went to use my gift card and my discount and guess what CAN’T.  You can not use two code on the same order.  It’s like getting a gift card from Target and being told I can only use it on full price items.  What with that?  I am not asking for two discount I am asking to using two types of payment (gift card and Credit card)

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
JanetC826
Oct 27, 2009 7:17pm PDT
JanetC826

A gift card and a discount offer would be considered two discounts by most businesses. Most online companies say on their sites that only one discount can be used for a purchase.

Posted by
loricherokee
Oct 28, 2009 7:33am PDT
loricherokee

A gift card is a pre-paid gift to someone.  How is that a discount.  The company is not giving you a discount, someone has given me a gift of money to use at Blurb. The company has been using the money until I use it toward a purchase.  NO other business considered this a discount .  If they did you would not be able to use any gift card on any sale item.  Lets see Walmart get away with that one.

Posted by
JanetC826
Oct 28, 2009 1:43pm PDT
JanetC826

I actually just posted re this topic and then seen this post.

I just created a book to give as a Christmas present – I did it purposely early to take advantage of the savings (20% that is being offered plus free shipping – good till the 24th)

In addition – I just won a gift card from Blurb on a contest.

I too believe that I should be entitled to the savings that is being offered and be able to use the card I just got as payment. 

It’s supposed to be US Currency and reads that way right on the card - 

The special offers you are running should not have anything to do with the gift cards

as the gift cards are not discounts – they are currency according to Blurb’s own verbiage.

Please advise. 

currently you cant use 2 promo codes - 

I think your policy should be reworked by your higher ups as you are bound to have a lot of unhappy customers with this implemented – especially holiday time. thank you 

Posted by
YDONTIFITIN
Nov 21, 2009 9:49pm PDT
YDONTIFITIN

YDONTIFITIN,

I just answered your question here. Thanks for the feedback.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Nov 22, 2009 2:39pm PDT
kathybad

Unfortunately, a gift card code cannot be used with any other promotion code or discount – with one exception. If your order is large enough to qualify for a volume discount, that discount will automatically be applied to your order total in addition to the amount from your gift card

Thanks for your response – In addition – I find this to be very disturbing.

Exceptions can be made IF …your order is large enough.

I know that you don’t make the rules but – I’d say this is pretty ludacrous.

Posted by
YDONTIFITIN
Nov 23, 2009 9:39pm PDT
YDONTIFITIN

All,

Really good feedback on our gift cards. We are looking into being able to allow both gift cards and coupon codes sometime in the future. So, for the time being, we have to work within the limitations of our system.

Thanks for your patience.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Nov 24, 2009 10:56am PDT
kathybad

I was just searching this topic and came across this thread. I really don’t understand this policy either. I’ve never seen a gift card considered a discount anywhere else. Someone paid in full for the gift card. It’s the same as any other form of payment, not a discount. It’s been 6 months since the last comment but it seems like it hasn’t been fixed yet.

Posted by
ninabeltran
May 21, 2010 6:45am PDT
ninabeltran

Hi ninabeltran,

We’re still working on it and we do hear what you’re saying.  

It’s not so much a policy, but rather that our checkout system doesn’t have a way to accept more than one code in an order.  Since gift cards currently function with a code for a "discount" during checkout, we don’t have a way to enter both a gift card code and a discount code together.

Thanks for chiming in on this.  We’ll definitely let you know if and when we’re able to workaround this limitation.

maggie

Posted by
maggiemight
May 21, 2010 9:07am PDT
maggiemight Icon_staff

I also find this frustrating and because of it I don’t give people Blurb Gift cards, even though I love Blurb. Fix this and I will be placing a lot more orders and making a lot more books.

Posted by
CallyCreates
Aug 19, 2010 3:28am PDT
CallyCreates

It’s been 2 years and 3 months since the original post – and still no fix. This is really unfair Blurb. I really liked your company at first, but now it seems like you’re constantly trying to find ways to rip off the consumer.

Posted by
jcbarnes
Jan 6, 2012 2:42am PDT
jcbarnes

I agree. This is VERY disappointing. It’s now almost 4 years since this post and no change. I too have been in this position multiple times and have continued making large (and very expensive) books through Blurb as they have advised me multiple times via email that they’re looking to change this in the future. Which future?

If it’s a case of their cashier system, then surely a little investigation into the majority of other websites that can manage this is worthwhile and possible in order to avoid losing more customers?!?

Clearly they don’t think highly of customer feedback. A pity, given I advise all of my friends and family to use other companies that do allow this.

Posted by
ppharper
Aug 23, 2013 12:51am PDT
ppharper