General Interest

Starting out, need some advice.

Hello Good People,

Just wanted to have a little of your time, have just started writing poetry for the first time in about 16 years, and have a couple I would like to maybe publish if they are good enough, just for a bit of fun for me,

How  would I start down this road? any ideas?

A friend told me about this site, and so am here lol, not sure what I need to be doing though lol

Any ideas folks?

Tim

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
timwykes
Nov 15, 2009 3:22pm PDT
timwykes

The first thing you need to do is download Booksmart and install it on your computer.  Once installed, open it up and play with it.  Start different books, play with the templates etc.  Get comfortable with it.  I don’t know your level of computer savy, so I don’t know how long that will take.  It’s all free until you complete your book, upload it and order a copy.

If you have questions, search the FAQs and forums on this site.  If you still need help, post a question in the appropriate forum.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Nov 16, 2009 7:23pm PDT
Charybdis

Perhaps a small black&white paperback might be the right project to start with.

Special attention to text spell and formatting when you put your text into the blurb software. I encountered very funny things and I fear the issues are not solved yet .

You can add illustration in the text by using colored photographs which will be printed in b/W . No converting in B/W is necessary

Posted by
editionh
Nov 26, 2009 12:56am PDT
editionh

Good advice so far!   Can I add a few thoughts?

Have a look at some of the poetry books in the Blurb bookstore, that might spark ideas on style, layout, etc. You’ll find those here.

Then make sure you watch the introductory "how to" video, you’ll find that here. Then go to the Help menu at the top of this page and select Tips and Tutorials, you’ll find other tutorials and good adive there.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Nov 26, 2009 3:06am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tim,

The only advice I can give is from my own experience.  I always wanted to write kids books but it seemed I never would.  Then I found Blurb :)  I just wrote them, did some illustrations, (and I am rubbish at drawing!), built the book and ordered a copy.  If nothing else, I have a copy of these books for myself and can cross it off my list of ‘things I’d love to do’.

I guess the fear is that no-one will like what we’ve written but does it really matter?  As a complete novice at all this I cannot express the feeling of pride when a copy of my first book arrived…it looked better than I had imagined.  Will anyone buy it?  Probably not.  Will I write millions more?  Definately!

Be brave, don’t stress too much over the finer details and have fun…..you’ll not regret it :)

Kerry

Posted by
Weebeastie
Dec 11, 2009 6:49am PDT
Weebeastie