General Interest

Contest Winners

Congrats to the winners of the Best of Blurb, the books in First and 2nd place were really nice and engaging and deserved their accolades. 

I do feel though that something needs to be said to Blurb about the people’s choice.  Blurb is a serious company in the art world creating amazing artist books and this contest made a joke of that.  The quality of the people’s choice winners is not as strong as many of other books I viewed and voted for during the voting period.  By turning it into voting it became a popularity contest of people with facebook/social networking sites friends voting for them.  As has been noted on the forum before it also let people cheat by creating fake accounts and vote for themselves.  This cheapens the contest and brings down the quality of winners.  I urge blurb to reconsider their voting methods for the next contest in order to get a better representation of the best of blurb and higher quality work.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
RebeccaYale
Nov 18, 2009 7:50pm PDT
RebeccaYale

I was in the top 15, and even i agree.

Posted by
BrandonMilli
Nov 18, 2009 9:30pm PDT
BrandonMilli

I had a lot of family vote on mine, but I don’t even KNOW 300+ people. So unless it was forwarded on to people in their email accounts, I have no idea how I got so many votes. But thank you :) I am happy for the winners, but I still hold my own personal favorites for each category.

I will be both a gracious winner/looser at the same time by saying, “Way to go everyone!”

And yes, Blurb, you need to rethink how to do the next one. :) I don’t have any ideas on how to go about that, but you seriously need to do something different next time.

Posted by
BrandonMilli
Nov 18, 2009 9:34pm PDT
BrandonMilli

We really appreciate all the feedback we’ve gotten on this contest. We will be taking it all into consideration and evaluating it carefully for future contests. Thanks to all who participated!

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Nov 19, 2009 3:59pm PDT
kathybad

I got around 1100 votes and my book was not in the 15 finalists! It was a book about the Tibet…Also I voted for a book about Iran who had more than 1250 voted and I didn’t see it in the 15 finalists….  May be some books have been eliminated because of the subjects? Or may be the organisers thought that some people violate the rules and eliminated their books. Does someone from the staff can give an explanation? Thank you.

Link to my book:  http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/913115

Posted by
ganesh
Nov 20, 2009 11:02am PDT
ganesh

Each category had different votes. Mine was in the Pet category. We only had around 85 or so enter. The top votes in our category was around what you got.

Posted by
BrandonMilli
Nov 20, 2009 12:10pm PDT
BrandonMilli

Hi,

We reviewed all submitted votes and eliminated those that did not comply with our contest rules. After votes were tallied some books were no longer in the top 15 in their categories and therefore not People’s Choice winners. Our Contest Rules have a little more info.

Hope this helps.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Nov 20, 2009 12:38pm PDT
kathybad

My wife told me that the letter X, in our ABC puppy book is why we were only in the top 15. LOL.

Posted by
BrandonMilli
Nov 21, 2009 9:31am PDT
BrandonMilli

Just got the card in the mail! Thanks for keeping us updated Kathy! :)

Posted by
BrandonMilli
Nov 21, 2009 1:40pm PDT
BrandonMilli