General Interest

Locked Calling Blurb?

Does anyone know if there’s a number where I can call blurb customer service? I put together a book last night… placed my order for two… then realized I could have made it 40 pages instead of 20 pages for the same price. I want to cancel my order, or at least be able to cancel the upload and upload a 40 pages version instead. I sent customer service an email minutes after I realized what I’d done… but no one has responded. I’m guessing the more time that goes by, the deeper my book will be into the system and down the production path. Perhaps if I could call someone they could could the brakes on it, and let me upload the longer version?

Posted by
skiphunt
Oct 10, 2007 6:50am PDT
skiphunt

It’s a little bit disturbing that I’m actually a paying customer now… and have a time-sensitive issue with an order I placed last night… and can’t get anyone from blurb to reply to my forum inquiries, my Customer support email, or even get a phone number to call someone direct. I understand blurb is busy with trying to get 1.9 released. But I trusted in your system and current software and put my money down. Why can’t I get any reponse?

Posted by
skiphunt
Oct 10, 2007 8:24am PDT
skiphunt

Sorry I can’t be of any direct help, but you’ve already tried the best and only way to contact them – email. They do eventually respond to requests for help, but whether it is in time to stop your order remains to be seen.

As they often recommend, check your emial spam box for an email reply if none comes to your inbox, but it often takes a day or two to get a response.

I made the same mistake on my first book and chalked it up to experience – live and learn. 

Dale 

Posted by
dwags
Oct 10, 2007 9:39am PDT
dwags

Hi skiphunt. I just want to let you know that Blurb is located in San Francisco, California, so we operate on Pacific Daylight Time. We jump into the Forums when work starts and then we begin fielding questions where needed. Please know that Blurb’s Forums aren’t Customer Support, as noted in our Forum Guidelines. For one-on-one communication and support, you need to fill out a Customer Support Form. A person will get back to you within 24 hours, so do look for an email.

Here’s an FAQ explaining why we do not offer phone support. And to more specifically  answer your question about making a change after you ordered your books, here are two FAQs explaining why we cannot make any changes to an  order after it is placed.

(see links in next post)

That all said, I know what it’s like when you want an answer fast, so please keep using the Forums when you have questions to ask the Blurb community and contact us directly when you have an issue that needs to be addressed by Blurb staff. We will do all we can to help. -Allison

Posted by
allibehr
Oct 10, 2007 9:58am PDT
allibehr

Can I change my  order and make it rush?

Posted by
allibehr
Oct 10, 2007 10:06am PDT
allibehr

Can I make changes to my book after I upload it?

Posted by
allibehr
Oct 10, 2007 10:07am PDT
allibehr

Great!!!! What a waste of time and money. I guess that’ll teach me to get pre-maturely excited about a new product. I should have slept on it for a week before diving in.

And for the record, I only posted in the forum last night because it looked like some of your staff was still replying to posts. Never mine mind you.. but others. I posted litterally minutes after I’d published hoping someone could help.

I’ll take all this "customer support" into consideration  on my future books.. and know that "Blurb" is basically a software engine with ties to out-sourced printing. No hands-on.. just pass through. 

Does anyone know of an actual printer who actually does the printing hands-on and can deal directly with clients on books like these? Or is Blurb pretty much it in this price range? 

Posted by
skiphunt
Oct 10, 2007 10:16am PDT
skiphunt

Doesn’t sound like you even DO the printing. Looks like "Blurb" is just a tool to layout a book and a back-engine with ties to various out-sourced printers. Sounds like "Blurb" just takes a cut as the "middleman" between the client and the actual printers.

I assumed I was dealing with an actual printer instead of a layout software developer and middleman. If it was indeed "your print facility" it would not have been a problem to flag an order in queue or delete it.

I’ll see what the printing looks like.. but will likely look around a bit more to see if I can find a vendor who’s actually the printer too.

And, with all these reports of people getting the wrong book? Or, pages from someone else’s book in YOUR book?! 

How often is this happening? Is this whole "Blurb" enterprise in "beta" including the fulfillment? If I end up selling any of these and clients are getting the wrong books or pages from someone elses book… do I have to deal with "making it right"? Or, does Blurb handle all that?

Is Blurb a brand new enterprise still working out all the kinks? Perhaps it’s better to hold off before doing another book or looking for someone who’s been in the game a bit longer? 

Posted by
skiphunt
Oct 10, 2007 11:18am PDT
skiphunt

skiphunt,

please post back and let us know if you have found anything that will do the same thing that booksmart does.  i too am very frustrated…i have a book that i’ve been working on for about a month that i can’t open anymore due to the software issues with v1.8.

blurb says this effects only 1% of all users…i’m not sure how they came up with that number.

anyway, what else is there to get your own book published?  it seems like the options are very limited from what i can tell.  things like mypublisher don’t give the same options that booksmart does.  what else have you seen?

thanks,

bluemax2

Posted by
bluemax2
Oct 10, 2007 11:40am PDT
bluemax2

I just started looking a few days ago when I stumbled onto blurb. Most that I found were in Europe and didn’t service U.S. users.

This first outing with blurb is so far.. frustrating, but I’ll wait for final judgement when I see if I actually get the books I ordered.. if the printing is acceptable… and if all the pages in my books are indeed from MY books.

I’m still looking though. Seems blurb might be in it’s infancy regarding online order fulfillment. But we’ll see. At least the 1.8 version I’m using on a Mac seemed to work ok. A little kludgy but I didn’t lose anything. 

Posted by
skiphunt
Oct 10, 2007 11:44am PDT
skiphunt

Is it still true that there is absolutely no way to call customer service? I have been trying to solve an issue via email and it is not getting solved. I am really frustrated and placed a large order for wedding photo albums.

Posted by
leahbgoodman
Nov 15, 2012 2:18pm PDT
leahbgoodman

there is an hour window from placing an order and being able to cancel it

a little less rush and a little more reading and it may have become apparent  

Posted by
Martincreese
Nov 15, 2012 3:25pm PDT
Martincreese

These sound like mostly self inflicted wounds.

Posted by
deanej
Nov 15, 2012 6:38pm PDT
deanej