General Interest

Locked Re: Negative Comments On Your Books

I recently published my first book and was very excited about it. The very same day I received a notification from Blurb that someone commented on my book.

I was very excited and logged in to see the comment.

To my surprise (and disgust), a fellow "Blurbian" took it upon himself to comment on "how expensive the book was selling for considering  it was from a cruise ship".

Firstly, it was none of his business.

Secondly, no one asked him to buy it.

Thirdly, the images weren’t shot from a cruise ship.

Finally, I hope he felt better by trying to make someone else feel bad…….BTW…the images in his book were definitely not National Geographic quality to be sure.

What a jerkwad!!!

Posted by
larmeister
Dec 1, 2009 11:35am PDT
larmeister

your photography looks pro to me…

Posted by
ventdevie
Dec 1, 2009 3:36pm PDT
ventdevie

I would rate the photography in your book as excellent or better.  You cn be very proud of that book.

Posted by
deanej
Dec 1, 2009 4:01pm PDT
deanej

The photos look great to me. I hope the ones I take on an Alaskan cruise look as good. Maybe the person throught they were all taken from the ship because there weren’t a lot of pgs to preview although it’s obvious the one of the glacier wasn’t since there is a helicopter in the shot.

Posted by
loricherokee
Dec 1, 2009 4:32pm PDT
loricherokee

You photographs look great…

From my point of view there is no harm in activating the full preview. Thus you can create the same situation as in a book shop where people can look at the entire book.

Is it possible to delete such destructive comments or is the only alternative to shut down comment function ?

Posted by
editionh
Dec 5, 2009 9:01am PDT
editionh

I’ve just had a peep at your book and I think the photos are awesome :)
I can only imagine that the negative comments came from someone who has nothing better to do with their day. Still must have felt pretty bad to read it.
Rest assured though, your book is fantastic, love it :)

Kerry

Posted by
Weebeastie
Dec 11, 2009 6:38am PDT
Weebeastie

I just had a person call my book a pile of crap. Kinda surprised as its been getting great reviews from everyone else. Larry you images look fine, and the design is very nice. Your preview is set to only a few pages, I wonder if having my preview on the full book is not a good thing. Hmmm.

Well thats why the delete key is there right?

Posted by
davidbrommer
Dec 15, 2009 9:25pm PDT
davidbrommer

David, anyone making such a post has to be pretty much a loser.  I would take it as a compliment.

Posted by
deanej
Dec 16, 2009 9:54am PDT
deanej

I agree, but I was just kinda shocked that here, that attitude would manifest.

Posted by
davidbrommer
Dec 16, 2009 4:03pm PDT
davidbrommer

Hi Larry, I just looked at your preview and your shots are superb – maybe the negative commenter is one of those types that, having not had the opportunity to travel themselves, like to put a damper on other people’s good fortune and glean some twisted satisfaction from it. I am a seasoned traveller from the UK, and Alaska still remains an ambition for me but after seeing your photos they have whetted my appetite even more. You should be proud of them and the commenter should be ashamed of themselves!

Posted by
rrusty49
Dec 23, 2009 2:37pm PDT
rrusty49

I think some of these people simply have nothing ever to do with their lives than get on here and do things like that. Sometimes their own books arent selling so hot & things arent so hanky dorry, so they get jealous when they see someone else has something good. Good for you for not letting him get  you down.  I wish you the best of luck and success with your book

Posted by
mmdavison
Mar 5, 2010 11:36am PDT
mmdavison

I always enjoyed traveling abroad, where you see all kinds of interesting stuff – language, culture, variation of food, and everything else. Life only happens once.

As for some individuals try to ruin, just simply blow that person away and move on.

For Larry’s remarkable book, it is quite nice book. Quite nice, actually.

Brian {a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Mar 5, 2010 9:30pm PDT
brianbonitz

And I’d like to go to Alaska on one of my future’s cruise trips.

For those who haven’t take cruise trip, perhaps that you should consider taking a cruise trip at least once. My regret that I didn’t take cruise trip years ago. Considering the fact with challenges at the airport these days, cruise is much easier to get around and travel and able to get around to many different countries just on one cruise trip.

My family and I took a trip on Mexican Riviera cruise on December 2007 to remote destinations from San Diego, California, USA, to Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlán, Puerto Vallarta, and along the seashore of Baja California in Mexico and then to San Diego. It was remarkable cruise trip I ever had experienced in my life. It was really nice and fun, as well as relaxing time… and had managed to shoot over 3,500 photos. It was the best thing to travel with family (and friends as well). It was fun, actually.

Anyway, traveling abroad is the best thing as ever. Once we get back home, then we have so many interesting story-telling about this trip… and photos I took and many people had made many nice remarks on certain photos.

Best of all, Blurb gets the most credit for making the self-publishing a reality for ordinary people like you and me. Please join and other Blurbarians take one’s hat off to!

Posted by
brianbonitz
Mar 5, 2010 9:47pm PDT
brianbonitz

Since I am not able to edit back in my most recent post…

I want to add one term “me” between "Please join [me]… and other Blurbarians…

My apologies in advance, Brian smile

Posted by
brianbonitz
Mar 5, 2010 9:50pm PDT
brianbonitz

So, I’m still confused.  If some goon makes an inappropriate comment on your book page, do you have the option of removing the offending text?

Posted by
Cathytown22
Mar 8, 2010 3:05pm PDT
Cathytown22

…do you have the option of removing the offending text?

No – I don’t believe so. You can have commentary turned ON or OFF. Search the FAQs for ‘comments’ and you’ll find the guidelines easily…

I would guess that if a comment was truly offensive, then Blurb Admin could delete the post; but otherwise it’s a case of let the book speak for itself!

Giving the author the right to remove criticism (valid or otherwise) would defeat the object of the exercise… Can you imagine the ‘benefit’ of something like TripAdvisor if all the negative commentary were removed! It would be a waste of time!

Same as Amazon; gotta take the rough with the smooth…

Posted by
lkb-28
Mar 9, 2010 2:44am PDT
lkb-28

If you are signed in and go to your book via your home page or My Books you’ll see, just to the right of each comment, there are two options. Delete and Flag. The first deletes the comment. the second, I think, flags the comment for Blurb staff to review the content for non-compliance with policy/guidelines (e.g. offensive).

I haven’t tried either of these though so can’t say any  more than what I think they both do.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 9, 2010 8:03am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Tony;

As usual – you’re quite right… serves me right for not reading the FAQ myself !!!

Seems a bit perverse to me that an author can (apparently) do this…

As I noted above, to leave nothing but positive commentary just beggers belief in the whole !  You just can’t please all the people all the time… Being the synical sod that I am; I doubt  would trust anything that was 100% positive ;-)

C’est la vie…

Posted by
lkb-28
Mar 9, 2010 8:12am PDT
lkb-28

I have to agree Lee!

I think one of the major points in Blurb’s favour is their courage in allowing negative comments, as well as the positive ones, in the forums. Not many companies would even consider that.

I think the same philosophy should apply to comments on people’s books. But I have to admit to being somewhat biased, the few I have had so far are positive. Would I change my mind if I got a few negative ones? I hope not, but who can tell.

Though I’d have no hesitation in using the "flag" option if the comment was abusive.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Mar 9, 2010 10:04am PDT
tfrankland

Wow, I didn’t know about the Flag option. Thanks for the heads up.

I agree with Tony’s observation about negative and positive comments on author’s book/content, etc. Well said, Tony.

Posted by
brianbonitz
Mar 9, 2010 12:15pm PDT
brianbonitz

Hi Tony;

I think we can agree that there is a clear distinction between the Forum and the Bookstore…

Like you, I’m on record as saying publicly, here on the forum and elsewhere, that Blurb is to be congratulated and supported for its ‘bravery’ in allowing a public debate; moreso considering that much of what’s on here is largely unjustified for much of the time!

The Bookstore though is another matter; that’s the ‘commercial’ outlet and should be subject to normal commercial rules! ‘Unjustified’ commentary is part & parcel of the commercial world. As I noted before, if all negative commentary were removed from sites such as TripAdvisor or eBay, the ‘rating’ would be farcical!

As an informed buyer, I don’t take much notice of comments such as "It’s expensive". That’s subjective; ‘expense’ means different things to different people…

However, a comment along the lines of "The images in the book are very poor quality and low resolution." or "The grammar is appalling; the author clearly didn’t even bother to run ‘spellcheck’…" would mean something to me, and I would not want to see that commentary deleted if it were justified!

Perhaps the better approach would be to enable commentary on books ONLY to those who have purchased a book; that would at least ensure that the commenter had a ‘right’ to leave a comment!

Posted by
lkb-28
Mar 10, 2010 2:35am PDT
lkb-28

David B, I would not put the entire book on preview. 15 pages is enough for someone to evaluate whether they might enjoy it. That way it leaves some photos as an incentive to buy and a surprise when they receive it.  Give them enough to wet their appetite.  At least that’s my initial thought.

To the OP, I think most people will filter useless comments from the rest. 

And if you shot from a cruise ship, I am even more impressed. It looks like you  convinced the captain to drive it on to a glacier.

"Perhaps the better approach would be to enable commentary on books ONLY to those who have purchased a book;"

That’s how it should work. I don’t want to hear commentary from someone that doesn’t own the book. It’s pointless.

Posted by
gh3423
May 2, 2010 1:02am PDT
gh3423

It is true that if someone made such a comment abouy your photos not being beautiful, then their comment is very shallow.  I do find it interesting that the author of this book is deleting negative comments about his book that deals specifically with the content and questions the accuracy of its conclusions – these are not shallow.  Robert James, why are you deleting critisisms.  You also stopped previewing all of your book after this article was released. Why did you stop previewing parts of your book. Any of you who want to read the critisism of his book can follow this link. The only way to decide is to read for yourselves.

(LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR)

Posted by
gemdealer
Apr 28, 2012 4:47pm PDT
gemdealer

Locking thread due to age.

Michael/Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
mikewhy
Apr 30, 2012 8:12am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff