General Interest

Locked Aperture 3 and Photo Book Plug In

I notice that Apple Inc officially released Aperture 3 (yes, version 3) earlier today. I also notice that Aperture now has special plug in feature included. I believe that at least four Photo Book Plug Ins for other vendors.

I would think it is very wise for Blurb to work with Apple Aperture team to come up with Apple Aperture and Blurb Photo Book Plug In. I had seen some of this issue being asked in the form in the past.

I will submit a feedback directly to Aperture team about Blurb Photo Book Plug In to be included in Aperture. I also suggest that Blurb team should look into it.

Thanks again for all you do! That would be fun!
Cordially, Brian
{a passionately Blurbarian}

Posted by
brianbonitz
Feb 10, 2010 8:24pm PDT
brianbonitz

Please please do this ASAP. I promise to buy a whole library full of Blurb Books!

Posted by
BermudaAl
Feb 11, 2010 12:32am PDT
BermudaAl

Thanks for the support, guys. We’ll look into this for sure.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Feb 11, 2010 11:39am PDT
kathybad

Since Blurb takes pdf’s, you could create your book in Aperture 3, print the pdf and send it to Blurb right?

Posted by
patrickdodso
Feb 12, 2010 9:10pm PDT
patrickdodso

Can do that, but what about the covers? Fine if you have InDesign, but if you don’t?

When Blurb can produce the plugins for Aperture 3, then we can use it create the whole, covers and all.

Posted by
shrey
Feb 13, 2010 7:05am PDT
shrey

I would also like to request this asap.

Posted by
sjisaacs
Feb 14, 2010 2:33am PDT
sjisaacs

Yes, please.

Posted by
the1gustaf
Feb 15, 2010 3:56am PDT
the1gustaf

This would be soooo awesome!

Posted by
blazingb
Feb 20, 2010 6:11pm PDT
blazingb

This would be cool! Do it!

Posted by
pauloffb
Mar 4, 2010 5:56am PDT
pauloffb

I need this plug in !!

Posted by
appleconvert
Mar 10, 2010 10:22pm PDT
appleconvert

I agree! This would make an already huge update to Aperture that much cooler!

Posted by
soncraig
Mar 19, 2010 3:31pm PDT
soncraig

Yes, very much needed as I have now started to work with Aperture 3 as well!!

Posted by
chenault
Mar 21, 2010 1:37pm PDT
chenault

I want one. It will me my life easier and build my books much quicker.

Posted by
spirosg
Apr 9, 2010 11:28am PDT
spirosg

Add my vote

Posted by
prashantp76
May 8, 2010 10:53pm PDT
prashantp76

add me into this please.  It would take a little bit of hassle and risk out of the process.  pleased to say my recent Blurb book created using custom book sizes in Aperture worked well.  Even managed to get the spine text correctly positioned :)

Posted by
dfarquhar
May 14, 2010 12:39am PDT
dfarquhar

Please please and also with apples cool themplates, so do it do it and youre sales will DOBLE blubrb@!! I PROMISE!!

Posted by
koeneman
May 17, 2010 12:21pm PDT
koeneman

I add my vote.  We plan to order several books a year from one of these companies.  I’d prefer it be Blurb as we just ordered our 2009 books from you, but I can’t stand the work arounds we have to go through with our photos starting in Aperture.  I was contemplating switching to one of the companies that they already have a relationship with.  Can you let us know if you are making any progress with this plug-in/relationship with Aperture?

Posted by
gradikio
May 27, 2010 6:51am PDT
gradikio

I also would like to have this plugin, but I doubt we’ll see anything official from blurb anytime soon.

Posted by
oaro23
May 31, 2010 8:43pm PDT
oaro23

Any idea’s on when it will be ready?

Posted by
martijnvdijk
Jun 13, 2010 5:09am PDT
martijnvdijk

The demand is obviously there. I’ll order.

Posted by
marrlin
Jun 16, 2010 12:59pm PDT
marrlin

I’d also be really interested in this add on if Blurb released it – please just do it ;)

Thanks

Posted by
ChristofLP
Jun 16, 2010 2:18pm PDT
ChristofLP

Although Apple introduced the book printing plugin to much fanfare and it seems like there is at least some kind of demand for it, none of the affordable sites have yet released a plugin (at least none that I know of)

I understand Aperture users are only a small percentage of the small percentage of Mac users, but I tried to use book smart before and decided I’d rather go with the more expensive Apple books than have all the extra work (It’s all the exporting, importing, controlling your own versions, … I don’t like)

Posted by
hotarubi
Jun 19, 2010 2:59am PDT
hotarubi

adoramapix.com already has this feature (direct aperture to adoramapix) so let’s hope that blurb can catch up as it sincerely would make a world of difference

Posted by
mzphotograph
Jun 21, 2010 11:25pm PDT
mzphotograph

Yeh, it is a show stopper for me as well. I’m planning to embark on two substantial photo book projects and all my image management and processing is done in Aperture, so the lack of plug-in support for Blurb is a REAL pain. Looking at BookSmart, I am sure I can do the job in that, but it is a major pain that it doesn’t talk directly to Aperture. I’m tempted to design in Aperture and print in blurb, but that’s a pig of a workflow. As the print run for the first one is likely to be small, I’m probably going to do it entirely inside Aperture.

Looking on the forums, Blurb have been “looking into” Aperture integration since 2007 :-(

Pull your finger out, guys. Implement this and you’ve got a customer.

Posted by
htphillips
Jun 22, 2010 9:40am PDT
htphillips

We have enjoyed using Blurb in the past, but we just got a Mac and are moving our photo library to Aperture 3.

We will be creating all our photo books in the future with Aperture. This will make it MUCH easier for my wife. We would still like to print the book through Blurb, but not until you have your own Aperture 3 plugin.

Please create a plugin soon.

Posted by
Vatdoro
Jun 30, 2010 12:49pm PDT
Vatdoro

I would love to see this plug-in as well. There are a couple books that I am currently working on in Aperture and this would make the difference to me of whether I use blurb or the apple printing option.

Posted by
davegolden
Jul 8, 2010 12:39pm PDT
davegolden

Another vote for the Aperture 3 plugin!

Posted by
acribb
Jul 8, 2010 7:54pm PDT
acribb

I will add my vote for this plugin as well.
I am currently creating the book in BookSmart and importing from Aperture. However, it doesn’t seem to import the picture with the adjustments that I made in Aperture.

Posted by
pgsimmons
Jul 10, 2010 11:08am PDT
pgsimmons

I don’t know many mid – pro Apple users who would use Blurb as a standalone product – Aperture & iPhoto are such a major part of the workflow (and rightly so) that you really need an Aperture plug in to capture any real percentage of the market. I haven’t tried Blurb printing yet – but would have if there was a plug in.

I’m a Photographer in Australia & am just about to print new demo books & samples. If Blurb was better io would be using them for all of my customers from now on as well. I’ll be trying the vendors with plugins right now – but the Blurb standalone spftware is going in the trash now. Until I hear about a plug in for Aperture I’ll be ignoring Blurb as an option…pity I had high hopes in the print quality :( 

Posted by
ploth
Jul 19, 2010 5:43pm PDT
ploth

Please please PLEEEEZZEEE create this plug-in. it’s exactly what I need… I have at 4 books that I’d order right away!

Posted by
antiochjason
Jul 30, 2010 7:40pm PDT
antiochjason

Export to a PDF file and sending it to Blurb won’t work. It sounds easy, but it is not.
Blurb wants you to export to a PDF/X3 file, which only works in InDesign if you have imported Blurb’s templates for InDesign.
Aperture can not export to PDF/X3, only to PDF/X.
As for now I cannot see any option of making your design in Aperture and exporting it to Blurb.
The only option you have is, exporting your pages made up in Aperture to jpeg’s and importing them in Blurb’s BookSmart. And order your book from there.
So extremely long-winded.

At a Blurb meeting in Amsterdam this year I spoke to the spokes person of Blurb.
She said, not enough people are interested in a Aperture plugin.
I think that’s not true, because most Blurb Mac users would be glad to pay for Aperture, if the knew the bookmaking process would be that easy with Blurb’s (potential) Aperture plugin.

I think that no Pro book making company that takes itselves seriously can get away without an Aperture plugin.

But it also seems that Apple does not make it easy for album making company’s to create a plugin.
For Asukabooks mailed me that they tried to make an Aperture plugin, but they failed to do so, for it was so extremely difficult to do it right.

I think we have to create a lot more buzz. For example could one of us maybe create a website or blog with a name like wewantapertureplugins. Or something like that!
We not only have to wake up Blurb and other Pro album making companies, but we also have to wake up Apple

I quote my request to them for an Aperture plugin and their reply:

Hi Jan,

We have attempted to work with a plugin for Aperature in the past and it seems that this didn’t work out. I, unfortunately, do not have details on that at this time but do know that we’ve tried.

Please share more on what is paining you and we’ll be happy to make this as smooth as possible for you. Do you work in Aperature anyway and not in Photoshop? What part of the process is most difficult for you? I definitely know that ours is not the easiest, but we’re here to help you.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any further questions.

Thank you and have a great day.

Katie Ball
AsukaBook Customer Care

When will you finally make a plugin for Apple Aperture? So the designing process will be as easy as possible and totally headache free?
That would be such a relief! For I love your books, but I hate the designing process. If I design an album, I want to do it intuitively, not break my head over numbers and be afraid if I take the right meisures, dpi, number of pixels etcetera etcetera.
And I am pretty sure that counts for most of wedding photographers.
Please make me happy.

High regards,
Jan Groot

Thank you,

AsukaBook USA

Posted by
jangroot
Aug 18, 2010 5:14am PDT
jangroot

Hi,

Just wanted to pop-in and tell you that unfortunately, I don’t think we can make you happy right now with an aperture plug-in. We have lots of items that we are working on, but aperture is not one of them, I’m afraid. Please check back in with us early next year to see if it’s moved up the priority list.

We hope you’ll still make books with us!

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Aug 18, 2010 3:34pm PDT
kathybad

In reply to Kathy I would say that that is indeed pretty unfortunate. I do like to make books in blurb, and I will probably continue to do so, but in a much lower quantity than I would if I could use Aperture due to the huge amount of effort that it is to create books that fit my needs using your program.
You are probably underestimating the benefits of making an aperture plug-in and would suggest that you create a poll on your website to ascertain its true potential.
I am certainly not alone in this reasoning.

Posted by
rcmartins
Aug 19, 2010 7:11am PDT
rcmartins

i agree that it’s quite unfortunate. many MANY apple photographers use aperture and would greatly appreciate the added ease and convenience of an aperture plug in. Zenfolio and so many many other sites have them i can’t imagine it would be so very difficult to create.

Waiting until early next year is nearly ridiculous.

Posted by
mzphotograph
Aug 19, 2010 3:05pm PDT
mzphotograph

You have my vote for this plugin as #1 priority!

Posted by
Leumas
Aug 24, 2010 3:50am PDT
Leumas

Ah Blurb, why do you make it so hard for us to love you?

Aperture is a heck of a lot easier to design books layouts in, and as a pro I already manage all my photos within it. Why bother trying to compete via your sub-standard Book Smart? Make a plug-in and concentrate on printing books. It’s what you do best.

Posted by
olympicbenny
Sep 2, 2010 7:06am PDT
olympicbenny

I make at least four books a year. I loved my last Blub book. But now that I’m using Aperture 3, I will not print any more books through Blurb until there is a plug-in to Aperture. Here’s another customer you have lost by not prioritizing this plug-in. Bye Bye Blurb.

Posted by
tspullin
Sep 28, 2010 1:08pm PDT
tspullin

I tried to make an album in Booksmart. But a lot of pictures of good quality turned out so pixelated, that the bride cried of dissapointment by seeing the final result.
So I have decided to quit using Blurb, although I used to be a big fan of their albums.
With Blurb you got only one option to make great albums, in my humble opinion. That is to work through InDesign. Most people who created stunning books in Blurb probably went that way.
But I cannot work with InDesign and learning the program is too much of a hassle for me, as I would not use it for anything else but Blurb books.
End of Blurb for me.

Posted by
jangroot
Oct 5, 2010 12:10pm PDT
jangroot

Hi jangroot,

If you think you have a quality issue with your book please contact us at customer support for assistance.

We have thousands of users making books with BookSmart every day and they’re delighted with the result. If you’re seeing a problem with your books the problem is not in BookSmart itself but either in production (a print defect) or possibly even in the images used (excessive sharpening or high ISO, for example). I’m not sure what your particular issue is, but do contact us and we’ll help you diagnose it.

Regards,
Michael/Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
mikewhy
Oct 8, 2010 7:56am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

Another Aperture convert here. Sorry blurb, but we needed that plug in.

Posted by
The_Octopus
Oct 22, 2010 8:29am PDT
The_Octopus

Aperture is fantastic. Blurb plugin would be great, hence +1. ;)

Posted by
meny_
Oct 28, 2010 7:55am PDT
meny_

I agree that an Aperture plugin would be the decision maker for me on whether to do my larger books on Blurb or Aperture.  Right now only my smaller books that are quick to do are on Blurb….but you would have ALL my biz if a plugin were available. 

Posted by
graffitimage
Oct 29, 2010 6:37pm PDT
graffitimage

I Join the petition asking an Aperture 3 plugin.
Thanks Blurb

Posted by
ljsilver71
Nov 9, 2010 10:16am PDT
ljsilver71

Another vote from Italy for Blurb Aperture plugin!! Come on Blurb!!!!

Posted by
paolametro
Nov 10, 2010 11:01am PDT
paolametro

Please, Blurb plugin for Aperture now!

Posted by
joanpami
Nov 21, 2010 10:46am PDT
joanpami

Are there any news on this front? I would also love to have a Blurb pulgin for Aperture 3. It would make my life so much easier and the freedom to design is great, specially if you do not know or cannot afford Indesign. Thanks.

Posted by
Tinchohs
Dec 12, 2010 9:38am PDT
Tinchohs

Another vote from me.
Please Blurb, make this happen soon!

Posted by
jzwarthoed
Dec 19, 2010 12:13pm PDT
jzwarthoed