General Interest

Locked Notification of books sold

It would be nice to have an option that when book has been sold blurb notifies you. A simple tick box and an automated email saying you sold another book. It might be nice to have an option for the buyer to give their email address so we can send a thank you note.

What do you think?

Matt

Posted by
Mattsahib
Oct 12, 2007 7:48am PDT
Mattsahib

That is a great idea.

I was notified by a friend that she purchased a copy of my book about 3 days ago, and it has not yet shown up in my sales box. I was wondering how long it takes for that? This is my first book, so I have no idea.

Diane

Posted by
drupnow
Oct 13, 2007 8:28am PDT
drupnow

I agree. We should be made aware of sales, even those of us non-US users who can’t use the markup for profit feature.

I see lots of activity in the views section, and I always wonder if anyone out there acutually buys them.

Dale 

Posted by
dwags
Oct 13, 2007 10:38am PDT
dwags

just sold my first two books and would ove to know who it is…theres got to be a way to find out. has anyone asked the moderators?

Posted by
ARMNstalker
Oct 16, 2007 5:59pm PDT
ARMNstalker

Matt and all -

This is a great idea. Currently, we report how many book are sold to members enrolled in SYP.  But they aren’t notified who specificaly purchased the book, just how many books were sold so they can reconcile against their profit payments.

Allowing all members to see how many books have been purchased is something we plan to implement very soon.

We take everyone’s privacy very seriously at Blurb, so its important that both authors and book purchasers only share the information that they’re comfortable with. Displaying specifically who purchased your book (and allowing the author to contact the buyer) is something that will take a little more work, but we will definitely address it in the not to distant future.

Thanks,
Jack

Posted by
JackLyon
Oct 16, 2007 8:03pm PDT
JackLyon

Just and idea, but could you allow the person who is purchasing a book to leave a message only visable to the original owner? This way the purchaser could leave a name, message or some form of identification of their own chose.

john

Posted by
oddball508
Oct 16, 2007 8:16pm PDT
oddball508

Yes, what a great idea.  I would like to contact the author of a book that I just purchased or be alerted that I had sold a book or two or three.  Communication, communication, is what we all need.  The more informed the better off we are. 

I am still working on my first book.  I was going to make a culmination of all of my work but, now that I have seen some posts about books being sold.  I think I will make few books instead of just one. 

Marin

marinchipcarving.com

Posted by
marincarving
Nov 12, 2007 3:52am PDT
marincarving

I agree to a point. I think they should give the buyer the option to speak to the author. I don’t necessarily think all buyers want to be having their e-mail addresses published. What do you think?

Posted by
DannyC
Dec 13, 2007 8:49pm PDT
DannyC

As a buyer, I really disagree with this idea. I understand that the author might want to thank you. But I take my privacy very seriously, and would be very unhappy if someone knew my email and that I had bought something from them personally. Maybe this would work if it was given as an option, and not posted automatically.
thanks

Posted by
olea
Dec 16, 2007 2:38am PDT
olea

Sorry, I just noticed that it is being discussed as an option and not an automatic disclosure of information.

Posted by
olea
Dec 16, 2007 2:41am PDT
olea

I’d simply like to know how many have been sold – especially as I am not in the US and can’t participate in SYP.

I have heard that a several orders have been placed for my (only) two public books.

It would be good to know

Posted by
tiagd
Dec 16, 2007 5:27am PDT
tiagd

Definitely Yes, we should know when books are sold, even the ones that are not enrolled in the "for profit". I have books with profit and books without and I really want to know when my books sell. As for knowing the buyers… If they feel compelled to contact us, our info is on our profile. Maybe there should be a box checked if they want their contact to be seen by us but I do think some people just want the book without us asking for a compliment or comment. Don’t we get enough unsollicited emails asking us to rate our experience? Let the buyer come to you.

Posted by
francat
Jan 16, 2008 11:16pm PDT
francat

hear hear.

I do not want to conatct customers but it would be nice to know if anybody bought my book. As non-US-resident I cannot enroll in the profit-system. But I can see that over a 1000 people have looked at my book. I would SO want to know if somebody actually wanted to pay money for it. 

Posted by
fschling
Jan 31, 2008 10:42am PDT
fschling

I agree. I really, really WANT to know if anyone will be buying the books I make, and I can’t see what the problem is at ALL?!?

Posted by
udgang99
Feb 4, 2008 1:53am PDT
udgang99

I have sold a number of books that I know of, and sent a larger number of invites. I would like to know, how many of these invites are getting responded to.  Thus is not unreasonable seeing as how blurb.com don’t even give me, as a non-US author,  the basic commercial  respect of a "THANKYOU, YOU SOLD A BOOK TO …an anonymous buyer.." e-mail.  I made them money with my two books, and they didn’t even send me a Chhristmas Card!!!

Posted by
EXO
Feb 4, 2008 5:22am PDT
EXO

EXO, I thought you removed your book from the bookstore in a fit of pique.

Posted by
dagree
Feb 4, 2008 6:19pm PDT
dagree

i have not recieved a check from august let alone sept and oct!what do i do?

malik saunders 

Posted by
mistamalik
Dec 30, 2008 12:26pm PDT
mistamalik

Malik,

you need to get in touch with Blurb and ask them why not. Go to Search FAQs and you will see a heading of EMAIL SUPPORT on the RHS, under that you will see General Support.

......Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 30, 2008 1:10pm PDT
tfrankland

thank you tony!     my book has been selling but not accounted for!how do i know the exact amount of books i sold! i recieved a royaty check for fortyfive dollars,wheres the rest??????????

Posted by
mistamalik
Jun 30, 2009 5:11pm PDT
mistamalik

royalty

Posted by
mistamalik
Jun 30, 2009 5:12pm PDT
mistamalik

You should be able to see how many books you’ve sold by clicking on "my account" – and from the drop down menu choose "sales" – you can look at your sales for any given month. 

Posted by
Bebensee
Jun 30, 2009 10:48pm PDT
Bebensee

I have seen the “my account” and the drop down to choose sales, but what I wish I knew is how quickly it would update? Is it when a person orders the book, is it when the book is made and shipped, or is it when they receive it? Like someone way up top said, they had a friend that told them they bought a book three days ago and it still hasn’t shown up in their sales section. When DOES it show up? The visit page seems to update rather quickly but I am still not sure about the sales section. If anyone from Blurb actually reads this feed please try to explain how your sales section works, cause I have checked the faq’s and I am still unclear, and it seems like other people here are as well.

Posted by
mbonney
Jul 1, 2009 1:16pm PDT
mbonney

Your actual "sales" will show when the book ships to the customer.

Posted by
Bebensee
Jul 1, 2009 11:14pm PDT
Bebensee

Good idea

Posted by
rmhesketh
Jul 17, 2009 10:33pm PDT
rmhesketh

I sold two photo-books back in June still have not receive payment check from Blurb, it has been more than 45 days, I am just wondering exactly how many days will it take for Blurb to cut a payment check and sent it to us?

Anyone care to share your Blurb payment check experience???

Posted by
pixtopic
Aug 5, 2009 2:25pm PDT
pixtopic

So far, my Blurb check payment experience has been positive, with checks arriving in an acceptable amount of time after all orders are processed.

What I would like Blurb to consider, for payment ease, is the ability to pay us through PayPal so that monies are received quickly and conveniently.

Shirley George Frazier

Posted by
SFrazier
Sep 4, 2009 1:17pm PDT
SFrazier

I still have not received payment for a book sold on November 13, and it is now January 14. The sale does not show in any form in “My Accounts” page. I have contacted Customer Support and received a response apologizing for the delay and that the payment should be “received shortly.”

But the greater question is, had I not been informed by the purchaser I would have no way of knowing that a payment was even due me. If we are not notified of EVERY sale at the time of purchase, there is no way to know the true account activity.

Do not assume that all of your activity is accurately reflected in your Accounts screen, even IF you are enrolled in SYP.

I am currently a Professor of Photography and will be sharing this issue with my students who use Blurb to create books of their work.

Posted by
IzziReal
Jan 14, 2011 12:38pm PDT
IzziReal