General Interest

New Widget

I tried to add the new book preview widget to my Squidoo lens. The very long embed code appeared on the lens but never did turn into the book icon w/the tab on the side that appears in the widget announcement. I contacted Customer Support this morning & they answered within the hour but unfortunately the answer makes no sense to me.  It said  "When you have this problem it means that you copy and past the code in a place where the HTML is not activated.
Please make sure that your editing tool support this kind of code." Is this their way of saying that the widget won’t work on Squidoo? I deleted the code & went back to using the URL for my book. Anyone else had this problem?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
loricherokee
Mar 16, 2010 8:19am PDT
loricherokee

I had the same problem on Squiddo and I think it’s because they don’t have made a Blurb module yet as they have for CafePress and Amazon.com. So in stead of the book widget I took the book batches and pasted them in my lens. But when I tried to publish my lens, I got the message that my outgoing links were too many. I filled in a discussion form, but haven’t heard from them yet. In the meantime I discovered that each book batch was linking 3 time to Blurb, one in the bookcover photo, one in the title link and one in the Blurb logo. So in that one lens I had about 24 links to Blurb and I accept that that is a bit way overdone.

I’ve suggested to Squidoo that they should make a Blurb Module and told Blurb to get in contact with Squidoo. But I fear that will nog happen overnight.

Posted by
Titia
Mar 17, 2010 9:11pm PDT
Titia

Well, stupid typo, I meant ‘that will not happen overnight’. Hate it that we’re  not able to edit replies. 

Posted by
Titia
Mar 17, 2010 9:14pm PDT
Titia

Hi,

Thanks for the info about Squidoo. The BookShow widget is still in beta so we’re supporting web pages, blogs, and Facebook for the time being. As BookShow moves out of beta and matures a bit, look for more options in the future.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Mar 18, 2010 9:11am PDT
kathybad

The Facebook embedding of the widget works fine with one’s own FB profile, but how to get the widget to show on a fan page? Pasting the embedding code doesn’t work (tried it).

Posted by
pni
Apr 7, 2010 1:28pm PDT
pni

Hi pni

You should be able to post a book widget on a Facebook fan page, so long as it allows links.  Some of the fan pages I checked out allowed me to post pictures or videos, but not links, so make sure you check for that.

If you still can’t get it to work, please contact customer support with more details about your specific scenario so that we can take a closer look.

Maggie

Posted by
maggiemight
Apr 7, 2010 3:45pm PDT
maggiemight

Oh! The link. The “If your blog is hosted on Wordpress.com” link. Oh. Ok, yes… that seems to work on Facebook too.

Posted by
pni
Apr 7, 2010 10:41pm PDT
pni

I have tried a number of codes on my Wordpress blog. They all seem to work at first but as soon as I save or publish the page I get this showing rather than the widget:

http://www.blurb.com/assets/embed.swf?book_id=2996065&token_id=2445352&token=d3b7b09dea848d9c6f5c7387c3b25f32841fddeb&locale=en_US&token_id=2445352&token=d3b7b09dea848d9c6f5c7387c3b25f32841fddeb
Entrances and Exits by Kate Jensen | Make Your Own Book

Any ideas how I can solve this?

Posted by
pearlyadder
Feb 18, 2012 5:42pm PDT
pearlyadder