General Interest

ISBN, International, non-USA resident

Got a dilemma. I live in France, but am targeting my book for the USA market. I would like to offer it in a wide distribution as possible, but for that I need an ISBN number.

Since I live in France, I can’t get one in the US. But the French don’t want to give me one since it will be published in the US.

Now what<cite>??</cite>

BTW, I think that Blurb should really start offering a ISBN service…

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
MikeWerner
Jul 25, 2010 11:35pm PDT
MikeWerner

From my perspective you are the publisher and Blurb is the printer, so it will be published in France.

I’m not sure it is relevent but I live in the UK and have placed 17 orders now with Blurb and all those books have been printed in The Netherlands, not the US.

Plus have a read of this post.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Jul 26, 2010 12:05am PDT
tfrankland

Hi Mike,

You can check out the international website at www.isbn-international.org

I would also be careful about buying an isbn from other publishers, unless you don’t mind them keeping tack of your book data. I understand this is what happens when you buy an ISBN from LULU and the other book publishers who sell you one of their ISBN, from what I understand,  they now have excess to your book data sells, etc. these companies buy their ISBN’s by the blocks from Bowker and sell them out to self publishers and other book publishers. But,  Bowker is the offical authorized ISBN agancy here in the US according to the ISNB site and the US copryright office, all others are buying their isbn blocks from Bowker and selling them out.

The officail site for ISBN is www.isbn.org or www.bowker.com

You can contact them and they will respond and direct your path…

I agaree, I don’t know why Blurb can’t buy a block and properly register with Bowker as an authoritzed agent to sell ISNB’s for the Blurb publishers

ella

Posted by
EvangelistET
Jul 26, 2010 2:51pm PDT
EvangelistET