General Interest

Selling your book to outside bookstores

I am about to start my first book.  Blurb was recommended to me to publish a book that will have just friends and family distribution.  That’s great but what if a bookstore other than Blurb wants to pick it up?  Has anyone done this?  Are the printing prices so high that no one else will touch it?  Thanks~

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
LoisCS
Aug 19, 2010 10:25am PDT
LoisCS

As far as I know, if you want  to sell your book in another bookstore, you have to buy the copies from Blurb & then make a deal w/the bookstore. I checked into an independent bookstore here in ME to see if they carried self published books. They do but it’s on a consignment basis – you have to buy the books. That’s a big chunk of money up front w/no guarantee you’ll sell anthing. I didn’t do it.

Posted by
loricherokee
Aug 19, 2010 10:50am PDT
loricherokee

The bar code issue is something you’ll have to deal with too most likely? That will cost a minimum of $60.00 last time I looked. You can use the same barcode on each book as long as you NEVER change anything inside it. If you do…you’ll have to buy a new barcode.

I would say yes the printing prices are simply too high for sales to the general public; when I can purchase a twenty pound large landscape book of 600 plus pages for under $20.00 at my fav book store!

It’s fun though to have your own limited copy book…so go for it.

Posted by
dmkilbride
Aug 20, 2010 9:24pm PDT
dmkilbride

This afternoon I met two Blurbians who tell me they are selling their books through retail outlets. I didn’t ask them, because I thought it might seem a bit nosey, but I wonder (a) how they can make any money or (b) given the mark up the stores will likely impose, make any sales?

My wife suggests that maybe it’s some sort of loss leader or that they’re doing it just for the glory. Can anyone who has done this comment?

Thanks.

Posted by
Derek_Rxxx
Sep 26, 2010 3:01pm PDT
Derek_Rxxx

I have never seen a 600+ page photobook in any bookstore so I can’t comment on the price. I’ve also never seen any medium-large size photobook for sale for under $20.00. The Portland (ME) Art Museum gift shop sells beautiful photobooks of all sizes & most of them are in the $50 range.

Posted by
loricherokee
Sep 28, 2010 10:24am PDT
loricherokee

Since I saw this post, I’ve looked around in London. I could find no 600+ photo books for this sort of price but there are a few Taschen art books.

There are plenty in the 300/400 page range for about £20/$30.

Posted by
Derek_Rxxx
Oct 8, 2010 3:49am PDT
Derek_Rxxx