General Interest

Need a 'Feature Request' forum

I think that a new forum specifically dedicated to requesting new features would make the other forums (i.e. General Interest and Technical Issues) easier to browse.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
careysb
Oct 21, 2007 4:03pm PDT
careysb

All that Blurb need to do is, on release of a new version of BookSmart, place a sticky thread in the Technical or General Interest forum titled “Suggestions for next release”.  The users of the software will have some very good ideas; the tech team can act on the best.

When the next version is released the thread can be left to drift away and a new sticky created. 

Repeat as necessary.

Steve

Posted by
S_Street
Oct 21, 2007 10:51pm PDT
S_Street

Second this idea…

Would make a BIG improvement to the forum process & submitting to Blurb. Hopefully would cut out duplication…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Oct 22, 2007 1:48am PDT
lkb-28

Aside from all that, I’ve strongly suggested that BLURB replace this, the most clumsy forum operation on the internet, with one that has topics, threads, email notifications, searchable, etc.   For $150, you can buy forum software that is outstanding.

They responded by saying something about the base operating system they have chosen for this CMS, which is also a clunker which is slow and fuzzy.  I’d think that a conglomeration of a good commercial CMS, a cheap but full-featured forum, and an online store with good front and back end features should be considered before BookSmart achieves 2.0 status.

A big bright light bulb needs to get turned on in San Francisco so that Blub can keep developing the BookSmart program <del>- which is generally one of the best that I’ve seen for vanity publishing -</del> and spend less time having to wade thru forum topics like we do.

Posted by
200mph
Oct 22, 2007 6:18am PDT
200mph

Any feedback, suggestions or ideas you have for BookSmart, Blurb.com, or the Forums can be submitted here: http://www.blurb.com/help/feedback

200mph – As for the Forums themselves, the reply I gave you is here:
http://forums.blurb.com/forums/3/topics/671#posts-3087

Not sure what you’re referring to as far as Content and/or Code Management Systems or operating systems go, but to recap…

For a great many reasons, our site uses the Ruby programming language (as opposed to Java, PHP, etc.) To our knowledge, there are only two Ruby-based Forum packages out there, and both are fairly new with limited features.

Had we gone with a Java or PHP-based Forum package, it would have offered little if any integration with the rest of the site, which would have caused a bevvy of other problems. Nearly all forum packages are very affordable, so that was never an issue.

These forums have become an important part of the Blurb site, and threading (along with a few other features) are something we want to add in the near future. 

Jack 

Posted by
JackLyon
Oct 22, 2007 7:40pm PDT
JackLyon

Every time someone sets up a new copy of phpbb, a puppy dies.

That said, I can’t imagine why anyone would use Ruby for anything. But as a semi well known Perl author and trainer, I’m probably biased.

Posted by
remid0d0s0
Oct 22, 2007 9:28pm PDT
remid0d0s0

Hi Jack;

You said: "Any feedback, suggestions or ideas you have for BookSmart, Blurb.com, or the Forums can be submitted here"

That’s all well & good – but then other Forum members can’t see what’s been posted!

Surely it’s better to have an open session going; then you can avoid duplication of submissions, while giving forum members the opportunity to "vote" on suggestions…

Just my 2c worth…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Oct 23, 2007 2:04am PDT
lkb-28

A separate forum for requesting new features is an excellent idea.  Make sure that it is organized by Booksmart’s version number so that you know which version a new request applies to.  A voting button would be a great way to quickly gauge response instead of having to reply to say you agree.

Posted by
glenlan
Dec 3, 2007 2:54pm PDT
glenlan