Book Design and Imaging

Green in Blurb ICC profile

Hi, I have serious problem with soft proof of green color. Monitor calibrated. I am not able to adjust this piucture under soft proof ON to be same (or similar, at least) as original sRGB.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thank you very much

Richard

test picture

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
merapi
Aug 25, 2011 5:26am PDT
merapi

Hi Richard,

Unfortunatley, you have run across a color which most likely is not achievable with CMYK printing. This is not a Blurb-specific problem, but a long-time issue with printing in general. Not every color that exists in the RGB color model can be reproduced with the smaller color gamut of CMYK that is used in all printing presses today. Here is a FAQ that explains the differences.

Thanks!
-Joe

Posted by
JoeCro
Aug 25, 2011 7:13am PDT
JoeCro Icon_staff

Hi Joe, thanks a lot, what a shame. It also explain, why I cant get nice colors of yellow-green lawns and grass.

Does it mean, that all books in Blurb are printed with Blurb ICC (CMYK in fact), whereas in your link it is mentioned, that blurb uses HP Indigo which uses sRBG?

Thanks 

Richard

Posted by
merapi
Aug 25, 2011 7:31am PDT
merapi

… and one more question – how do you adjust landscape pictures? (I mean no sea or desert pictures). :-)

R

Posted by
merapi
Aug 25, 2011 7:50am PDT
merapi

1. Calibrate your monitor. An accurate monitor is important because inaccuracies are passed to the printer and yield inconsistency.
2. Leave your images as sRGB – convert images edited in another working space to the sRGB profile – since this is the color space that Blurb’s printers assume are embedded in images. Since BookSmart strips out image profiles, knowing that the printer “thinks” the image is sRGB allows you to view and tweak the image before it is imported into BookSmart.
3. Soft proof your images. You might want to “soft proof” using sRGB as a proofing destination space (or in the future when we provide a printer profile, as the source and the HP printer profile as the destination) and then convert to sRGB after you edit.(Check out Color profile for Blurb books.)

Posted by
susannara
Sep 2, 2011 2:54am PDT
susannara

1. Good advice

2. Perhaps

3. Just so wrong. The actual printers (presses) use CMYK, so softproofing to sRGB will not give you any sense of how the photos will print. For instance sRGB handles vivid red and vivid greens very well, the CMYK gamut of the HP printers cannot match this and they come out somewhat muted. Softproofing as sRGB will not show you this at all.

You say "in the future when we provide a printer profile….." who are we? Blurb already provide the ICC profile, you’ll find it in their Colour Management Resource Centre.

Not helpful!

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 2, 2011 4:50am PDT
tfrankland