Book Design and Imaging

Locked grayscale image in B&W tradebook

I’m going to have a couple grayscale images in my black and white tradebook. with cream paper  Will the images get printed in halftone or is there some other process?  Should I convert the images to halftone myself before uploading or is it best if I just leave them as they are and let the printer do its thing?

Posted by
EddieC127
Sep 12, 2011 3:49pm PDT
EddieC127

Hi,

If you are making your book in BookSmart or Bookify, all images must be in sRGB—even if they’re black and white. Greyscale and CMYK will produce unpredictable results.

Regards,

Michael/Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
mikewhy
Sep 13, 2011 7:59am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

No, I’m using InDesign and PDF to Book.

Posted by
EddieC127
Sep 13, 2011 2:37pm PDT
EddieC127

Just in case you hadn’t spotted  it, in the Colour Management Centre (accessible from the Pro Center menu above)  there is a specific section for preparing black and white images for the PDF-to-Book process.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Sep 14, 2011 12:45am PDT
tfrankland

Yeah, I saw that and pretty much followed those instructions.  They seem geared towards four-color books, though.  I’m assuming my black and white photos will be printed in halftone for my B&W book.  I just wasn’t sure if I should manually prepare them as halftone in Photoshop or just leave them how they are.

Posted by
EddieC127
Sep 14, 2011 3:34am PDT
EddieC127

It is my understanding that Blurb will automatically convert uploaded grayscale photos to sRGB. Is this correct? And as far as "Grayscale and CMYK producing unpredictable results" — so does sRGB black & white photo books as evidenced by the many complaints of green and blue color casts in those books. Yet the latest UPDATE in the Color Management  concerning preparation of b&w photos states that Blurb accepts Grayscale photos.  HUH!

Posted by
brass
Sep 16, 2011 7:58pm PDT
brass

I used PDF to Book, so my images should be CMYK.  I think it’s only Booksmart that converts to sRGB.  I just received my book.  The spine was narrower than I expected and narrower than the 41 pt width from the specs.  As I feared, the B&W (grayscale) photos in my interior B&W cream-colored pages didn’t turn out how I hoped.  I read people seemed to mostly have a problem with images being too dark, but mine is too washed out.  It’s more like gray and white than black and white.  The blacks just aren’t that deep and the detail of the shadows gets lost.  Is that just a limitation of the paper, or is there a special way to calibrate the photos for B&W cream-colored paper?

Posted by
EddieC127
Sep 23, 2011 5:33pm PDT
EddieC127

EddieC127

That would be the limitation of the paper and printing combined of that particular style of book.

My brother had the same problem with his trade books with black and white illustrations being washed out. You can see the dotted halftone screen on them, making them dark grey. Not seen photos done by this method done yet, But I suspect the same.

Posted by
dukedesilver
Oct 10, 2011 1:29pm PDT
dukedesilver

Hmmm… Interesting discussion.

I`m just preparing a tradebbok with b&w and colour images. What pitfalls should I look out for in the preparation of the images and the final print…?

Thanks, Art

Posted by
kaleidobooks
Nov 14, 2011 11:43pm PDT
kaleidobooks