Book Design and Imaging

Using "stroke" and "fill" on cover titles.

Using plain text over a full bleed image with no large dark or light areas sometimes means that the title is not as legible as it could be.
I have tried to get around this by preprocessing the image and superimposing the title and byline using "stroke" and "fill" to make an "outline font".
However, removing the Blurb title and byline from the cover means losing them from the spine as well.

Is there a workaround for this? 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
jimberry
Sep 14, 2011 4:31am PDT
jimberry

Reduce the font size of the Blurb title on the cover to as small as you can and then ensure that it is placed behind a slightly larger area of similar colour in your cover image. 

Posted by
LenFerguson
Sep 28, 2011 2:44pm PDT
LenFerguson

Thanks, Len, but that was a compromise that I was not prepared to make.

My eventual solution was to create a semi-opaque PNG file to place between the title and the background image. This has the advantage that you can still make adjustments to the position of the title on the background image without having to go back to a graphics editor.

See
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/1985159/879dcbb75a6e73cf13aa2c3490904f55289763bd 

Posted by
jimberry
Sep 29, 2011 6:26am PDT
jimberry

Sorry I didn’t see this sooner.  Removing the text from the cover DOES NOT mean removing them from the spine.  True, if you put the text in using the Booksmart walkthrough and delete the title it disappears from the spine.  But all you have to do is click on the spine and type it back in again.  Booksmart only puts it back on the spine.  It leaves the cover blank.

Mike

Posted by
Charybdis
Sep 29, 2011 8:24pm PDT
Charybdis