Book Design and Imaging

160 page limit for best quality - any easy way to split into two shorter books without partial deletion?

There must be people who have had this problem before -I’m finding myself going well beyond the 160 page limit and now realise that I need two shorter books instead of a single 160-page one in order to do full justice to the topic. Is there any easy way to "split" the book at or before the 160 page limit and store the cut-off part as the start of a second book? Can pages be easily "transferred" to a second book if I start one up?

If I can help it I don’t want to have to delete 50 or so pages with text and then start the "second" book all over again from scratch.

Any help appreciated

Ianto25

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
ianto25
Oct 14, 2011 6:23am PDT
ianto25

Are you using BookSmart? If yes it;s straightforward.

Go to the File menu and you’ll see Duplicate Book. You can take the original and delete all the pages past 160 – tthere’s Volume 1. Then go to the duplicate book and delete pages 1 thru’ 160. there’s volume 2.

If you’re using Bookify I can’t help, hopefully someone else will post the approach.

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Oct 14, 2011 6:46am PDT
tfrankland

Thanks very much for that advice, Tony. I am using Booksmart so It’ll save me a lot of trouble.

Much appreciated!

Ian

Posted by
ianto25
Oct 14, 2011 7:55am PDT
ianto25

Worked like a charm, Tony. All that remains is to put in a new title instead of "Copy 1" which is automatically attached to the new one – I can easily do that during the publishing stage. Thanks again!

Ian

Posted by
ianto25
Oct 14, 2011 8:31am PDT
ianto25

Hey folks,

As of late yesterday, we’ve increased the page count for Premium and ProLine papers to 240 pages. We haven’t officially announced this yet, but you can order these bigger premium books now.

Get crackin’ on those bigger books!

Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Oct 14, 2011 9:58am PDT
kathybad

Well, how about that, Tony….! Now that’s what I call an instant response to a problem!

Great news, Kathy! Thanks for letting us know at just the right moment! Page quantity was the only issue I had with the premium lustre paper books. I look forward vto taking full advantage of it.

Thanks to Tony and yourself

Ian

Posted by
ianto25
Oct 14, 2011 11:52am PDT
ianto25

…only problem now is that I have to put the "split" books together again…so Kathy’s intervention wasn’t quite in time but very good news nonetheless…

Ian

Posted by
ianto25
Oct 14, 2011 11:57am PDT
ianto25

…only problem now is that I have to put the "split" books together again…so Kathy’s intervention wasn’t quite in time but very good news nonetheless…

Ian

Posted by
ianto25
Oct 14, 2011 11:58am PDT
ianto25

Kathy,

thanks for that "pre-announcement", it’s a good move on Blurb’s part.

It’s been quite a good week for Blurb! This revelation, the link between Lightroom and BookSmart, the new planner templates.

Well done!

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Oct 14, 2011 1:40pm PDT
tfrankland

This was good news because my annual photo book was close to 160 pgs already – busy yr. BUT I have one request. Every time I click on an image box I get the msg warning me about the 160 pg limit. Is this going to be turned off any time soon? It’s aggravating.

Posted by
loricherokee
Oct 15, 2011 7:01am PDT
loricherokee

Hi loricherokee,

If you’re using the latest version of BookSmart (released last week), you’ll only get a message if you’re at the 240-page limit. So, you can get rid of that 160-word message once you upgrade.

– Kathy

Posted by
kathybad
Oct 17, 2011 8:06am PDT
kathybad