Book Design and Imaging

Images from Photoshop to BookSmart look quite different

I’ve read several posts and how-to’s in the forum to edit and save images but having a problem.

The images look fine in Photoshop but are are noticeably more red and saturated (especially skin tone) in BookSmart.

My monitor has been calibrated using eye-one display 2 and I am using sRGB profile to save. Soft proof using Blurb icc profile looks fine in PS. When the images are inserted into BookSmart, they appear different.

I read in the forum that in this situation, the final print out will resemble the BookSmart output, NOT Photoshop output.

This obviously makes me nervous so is it true? Or, should I ignore how they show up in BS and trust the Photoshop output?

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
popo1004
Jan 1, 2012 6:23pm PDT
popo1004

Hey popo1004, I am having the exact same problem.
Profiled monitor, converted to sRGB, softproofed using the Blurb profile and all looks good until i import into Booksmart.
Then I get the same as you, redder, over saturated images.
Contacted customer support and they said “what you see in Booksmart preview is close to what you get”.
A reason why this is happening has not yet been answered by them.
Have you had any luck in solving this problem?

Posted by
rosstonkin
Mar 2, 2012 5:27am PDT
rosstonkin

I had this issue, but my black & whites had a blue tone instead of red. They reprinted the books and they got a little better, but not like they looked in the Blurb icc profile. I am nervous about submitting any more orders.

Also, I have the swatch kit and the colors vary greatly according to paper type. For example, ProLine Uncoated in B&W has a very red tone while ProLine Pearl in B&W is more blue. This could be a reason that my photos had a blue tone on the pearl paper.

Posted by
HayleyJuliet
Mar 2, 2012 12:38pm PDT
HayleyJuliet

I had the problem with the blue tones on two black-and-white books published using Booksmart 3.2.  I reprinted them using Booksmart 3.1 to publish the books and the reproduction looks much better.

The Customer Support folks have been very good, but they don’t think the problem lies with BS 3.2.  However, that is the ONLY difference in my workflow between the two versions of the books.

Posted by
bogray
Mar 3, 2012 9:58pm PDT
bogray

Customer service got back to me and had this to say:

“Because BookSmart is not a color managed application colors may appear differently than those that are color aware. BookSmart displays a low resolution sRGB version of your image, so if your actual image is in a color profile other than sRGB it may look different depending on the color within the image (most notably reds). If you are using the recommended workflow then the image should print as it appears in Photoshop as BookSmart will render the actual image you’ve edited and imported, rather than the low resolution version”

When I queried the “what you see in BS preview is what you get” from their first reply , they said they were mistaken on their first reply and to use their second reply for clarification.

They went on to say, “Before uploading and ordering, you should always review your entire book =carefully, using BookSmart’s Preview mode, to ensure it looks the way you want it to.”

So, this is what I understand from this;
If you’ve followed the recommended workflow ( which I have ), then the soft proofed sRGB image in Photoshop ( which for me looks fine ) is close to what you’ll get. But they also say to review in BS preview mode ( which for me is over-saturated, over-contrasty and definitely more red ) to ensure it looks the way you want.

Frankly, I’m non the wiser.

Anyone out there gone ahead and had a book printed where their images looked great in photoshop but were all over the place in BS preview.?

Posted by
rosstonkin
Mar 4, 2012 2:38am PDT
rosstonkin

Same issue here: over-saturated, over-contrasty and more red images in Booksmart (both preview and editing modes) than in Photoshop using soft proofing.
Anyone has solutions? Trust in Photoshop?

Posted by
Masnado
Nov 16, 2012 3:37pm PDT
Masnado

Well, it seems to me that Booksmart doesn’t accept monitor calibration.
I formatted my pc, reinstalled softwares and all worked fine: all the colors were perfect in Lightroom and Booksmart.
Then I calibrated my monitor using Spyder 4 Pro and….
All the same problems were back!!!
Over-saturated, over-contrasty and more red images in Booksmart

:( :(

Posted by
Masnado
Nov 22, 2012 2:56pm PDT
Masnado

I am having similar problems and am in touch with Blurb at the moment over this.  I do mainly b/w and do all my conversions and editing in CS4.  The images that look just how I want them in CS4 look dreadfully over saturated in BookSmart, almost to the point of being over sharpened and pixilated.  I work with 50mb originals so I know that the final image is large enough for decent printing.  It has now come to the point where I am seriously thinking of scrapping BookSmart and Blurb altogether.  The excuse from Blurb that BookSmart is only a book layout programme and not an image viewer is no excuse at all.  If I can’t view my images correctly and as I edited them, then I will always be suspect of the printed result.  Please Blurb, concentrate on this aspect of your software before I go somewhere else.

Posted by
islander1
May 18, 2013 2:06am PDT
islander1

Just checked the BookSmart software out on my second monitor – a cheap basic Dell which I keep for tools when in Photoshop.  I have to say straight away that the BookSmart software looks a lot better on it than it does my HPw2207 monitor, reserved for all my editing.  There is obviously something about my wide screen monitor that BookSmart doesn’t like.  Anyway, I will use the cheapo monitor for importing the images into BookSmart in future as they really look good now.

Posted by
islander1
May 18, 2013 3:43am PDT
islander1

I use Photoshop, and in Edit-Colour Settings I chose "Blurb Profile" (that’s installed already)

I then go to View Proof Settup and put my Blurb Profile in there.

When finnished I choose 8bit,  EDIT Convert to Profile (sRGB) then Save As Jpg.

You now got your image/photo saved in Blurb Profile sRGB. Colors should look Good.

When you want to work in Adobe RGB you go back to the Edit Color Settings and choose it in there before opening a photo.

Never done it in Lightroom so can not tell you how to do color profile in Lightroom..Sorry

Posted by
copernob
Sep 11, 2013 5:46pm PDT
copernob

Hey, i am jennifer from California, I will advertise your eBook across Asia, South Brazil, Australasia, Europe, North America, Russia Federation and Africa. Here is my
link: http://fiverr.com/jennifer22/advertise-and-promote-your-ebook-and-novel-across-seven-continent

Posted by
jennifer_22
Sep 20, 2013 9:36am PDT
jennifer_22