Book Design and Imaging

Margins on BookSmart Pre-loaded Layouts, vs. My Page Layouts

Hi all,

I’m just about to upload my first Blurb book, of around 404 pages and going through the final proofing of all the text and layout etc.

I’ve gone through a number of different layouts and designs in the 2 years (!) I’ve been working on this book, but settled on one inspired by one of the books in the Ideas Gallery – with all text starting at least 1/3 of the way down the page, split up in to two columns. As a result, I’ve created all my own layouts in various versions of this theme – where the text and image containers are centred in the middle of the page.

Now that I’m close to finishing the book, I’ve had a look at some of my layouts vs. some of the pre-loaded ones, and only just noticed (stupidly perhaps) that the Blurb layouts seem to change the margin between the containers and the inside spine of the book depending on if the page is on the LHS or RHS.

It seems to happen automatically, and my layouts don’t seem to do the same. I assume it’s so when the book is bound, that it gives additional space to allow for the part of the book you lose in the middle.

Hope this is making sense – but do I need to have a left hand and a right hand version of each of my layouts to achieve the same result? What does everyone else do?!

Thanks in advance for any help! :-)

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
Sparkle_09
Feb 23, 2012 8:16pm PDT
Sparkle_09

My experience is you need left hand and right hand versions of custom layouts.  Also, if you change the order of pages around, you can end up with your left handed layout on a right hand page or vice versa.  You need to be very careful about this, or else you’ll end up with pages that are centered improperly.  The header and footer bars are useful references to make sure things are aligned properly.

Posted by
timbo19
Mar 5, 2012 5:09pm PDT
timbo19

Maybe I can help! If you have for eg. LHS already saved in your own layouts please save as L when you name it or change the name. Then open your layout in a page layout, mark every container using shift key and move with the arrows to a symetrical position and save as Right. All my manual layouts have been saved as L and R layouts that definitely makes lafe easier. For eg I have names like ‘4 large L’ and the same layout ‘4 large R’. Hope this helps xxx

Posted by
clipey
Mar 6, 2012 5:03am PDT
clipey

Hey thanks very much for your guidance guys, I really appreciate it! Of course I’m not looking forward to having to go through and create new layouts (I don’t have any specifically right hand or left hand ones currently) and making sure they’re all on the right pages (thanks timbo for the tip re re-ordering pages, I’ll be careful with that) – but I know it will be 100% worth it when the book turns up!

Without your advice I probably would have got this completely wrong and I would have been really annoyed at myself – thanks so much :-)

Cheers

Posted by
Sparkle_09
Mar 12, 2012 8:48pm PDT
Sparkle_09