Book Design and Imaging

Bit depth

I’ve just upgraded to the latest Booksmart application, but it won’t open.  A dialog box opens, telling me that Booksmart needs to be able to display 32 bit colour.

I tried to reset my monitor, by going to Properties – Settings – Colour quality, but I find that I don’t have the choice of 32 bits.  My monitor only offers 24 or 16.  So, how do I resolve this, and open Booksmart?

Thanks for any help. 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
asokolow
Nov 22, 2007 3:12pm PDT
asokolow

Hello asokolow;

Sounds like you need to upgrade your video card to enable 32-bit colour – provided the monitor is reasonably "new"...

If it’s a very old monitor, then you may need to upgrade that – but then you will need to verify that your system can handle any upgraded peripherals…

Cheers;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Nov 23, 2007 1:24am PDT
lkb-28

Thanks Lee.

It is an old monitor – second hand, at least!  Ah, well, seems I’ll have to try another program other than Booksmart.  Pity.

Posted by
asokolow
Nov 23, 2007 7:15am PDT
asokolow

Pretty funny that Booksmart needs “MILLIONS” of colors when the printing is NOWHERE near that accurate. The Indigo Printers they use is only 8bit, so why would the programmers think they need millions of colors when the printing won’t even be near that color depth.

Yeah, I’ve found other programs that are both more flexible and the final product is better. But I’m stuck with Blurb until I use all my Groupons.

Good Luck!

Posted by
robholcomb
Jan 30, 2011 8:17pm PDT
robholcomb

@robholcomb

Considering that RGB colourspace is larger than CMYK colourspace, you can’t really compare screen colours and printed colours like that, can you? You can’t print in RGB, so why would any layout software need millions of colours, when the printed result will never reproduce them all faithfully? Because most people want the images on their screen to look as good and realistic as possible. Softproof the images in Photoshop using the CMYK profile provided by Blurb, if you want a closer approximation of the printed result.

Posted by
Revenant
Jan 31, 2011 6:06am PDT
Revenant

Have you checked for updates on the video card driver? I have a couple of really old systems with cheap video cards and they support 32 bit colors. In fact the only options they allow is medium 26 bit and highest 32 bit. These video cards date back at least 10 years.

Posted by
mkirwan1946
Feb 4, 2011 12:12pm PDT
mkirwan1946