Book Design and Imaging

Feedback - Spelling and Sharing

Hi, I wanted to leave feedback but couldn’t remember how having lost the email so I’m posting here instead. I just wanted to say that my hardcover book looks amazing and I’m sure that it will help me a lot in the Photography exam at college.

I do have one suggestion though – wouldn’t a spellchecker really help on Blurb? I’m a little bit clumsy and made a typo (just the one) on one page of the book. As a student printing a book for my exam I didn’t really think it necessary to hire a proof reader.

Also, I’m thinking of making my book previewable online and I’m worried that doing so will list my work in search engines. Since my book contains pictures of toy figures, I wouldn’t like the toy manufacturers seeing my book in search results and then for them to be chasing me up over something that’s just for college. I presume private view means that this won’t happen but, I’m not sure.

Anyway thanks again Blurb – great job!

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
SPNichol1981
May 20, 2012 3:25pm PDT
SPNichol1981

Hi,

There is actually a spell checker built into BookSmart, our free downloadable software. Our online program, Bookify, doesn’t have spell check available. In either case though you have preview feature built into both, and while hiring a proof reader isn’t really necessary, we always recommend you have a second look before you upload/order—and perhaps have a friend or classmate look it over, too!

In terms of our online preview, you can keep your book private and use the “Share” features to send a private link to people. Private means it won’t appear in our online bookstore, and won’t appear in search results. Keep in mind that friends could potentially re-share that private link, but you can always ask them not to, just in case.

Good luck with your final project!

Regards,
Michael/Blurb Customer Support

Posted by
mikewhy
May 21, 2012 8:02am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff

Hi @Michael, thanks for the info – that really helps. I look forward to creating more Blurb books in the future, maybe even ones that I do feel I can put on the online bookstore :)

Posted by
SPNichol1981
Dec 13, 2012 5:01pm PDT
SPNichol1981

Yes Booksmart has a spellchecker , but its not a proper English spellchecker, those of us on the correct side of the Alantic, would appreciate a ‘real’ spellchecker.

Posted by
rib9462
Dec 14, 2012 3:56am PDT
rib9462

I second that!

…..Tony

Posted by
tfrankland
Dec 14, 2012 10:55am PDT
tfrankland

Frown I also agree with the ’AMERICANISED" spell checker, what about the real version as you say. It does also need a thesaurus added.

Rob

Posted by
baldalfie
Jan 26, 2013 1:53am PDT
baldalfie

Should that be "AMERICANIZED" instead of "AMERINACISED"?

Posted by
baldalfie
Jan 26, 2013 1:56am PDT
baldalfie