Book Design and Imaging

White background not white!

I have made a couple of images that need a white area around them or as background

Havn’t had this problem before but now when i drop the image in to Blurb book it has a coloured background – this shows in print.

I’ve just ordered 2 books that have this issue on the cover and with images in the book.

Anybody got a solution to this?

I have checked the images in Photoshop and they are showing white background, no colour? 

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
HairBear
Nov 25, 2007 6:13am PDT
HairBear

I’ve just loaded an image into a book that I have previously used and has printed OK

Now it also shows a background colour where there should be white and yet I have done nothing with the image?

Posted by
HairBear
Nov 25, 2007 8:10am PDT
HairBear

Hi HairBear,
Does it look like the background color you mention is part of the image, on the border of the image, or is the entore page background colored? I’d be sure taht the image doesn’t have any border in BookSmart. To chaneg select the image and click the border button then select none (has a red line through it).

Any chance you could post a screenshot? Any chance the white portion of your image is being saved out as a transparency/ Are you saving out of Photoshop as JPG or PNG?

Thanks,
Chad

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Nov 26, 2007 12:20pm PDT
CapnScrappy

Hi Chad

All images are saved out as RGB JPEG’s

The images don’t have boarders

Why would an image I have done no work to in nay application suddenly start to appear with a background 

This is a PDF screen grab, opened in PS and the section on the rh has been adjusted to show the problem.

You can see on the left that there is 1% Cyan where it should be white. If  load the orginal image in PS there is nothing in the backround

URL=http://img339.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture1ey5.jpghttp://img339.imageshack.us/img339/6213/picture1ey5.th.jpg/IMG

Posted by
HairBear
Nov 26, 2007 4:44pm PDT
HairBear

Sorry that made the image very small but you can see the background!

Posted by
HairBear
Nov 26, 2007 4:45pm PDT
HairBear

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Nov 26, 2007 5:59pm PDT
CapnScrappy

Thanks for reposting Chad, do you have any ideas?

Posted by
HairBear
Nov 27, 2007 1:43am PDT
HairBear

Hmm. I need check on this with our Customer Service team to see if anyone else has seen any similar issues. Hold tight.

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Nov 27, 2007 4:20pm PDT
CapnScrappy

At this point, let’s treat this as an isolated incident that needs some attention from our Customer Support team. So, please fill out a Technical Support form and someone will get back to you within one business day. Also, please refer to this Forums thread so that they can see the discussion on this issue. 

Thanks for your patience.

– Kathy 

Posted by
kathybad
Nov 28, 2007 11:07am PDT
kathybad

I have had other issues with this book order that somebody has been dealing with for me including this issue.

I have now recived an email telling me it is my error. I haven’t as yet, had a response to my thoughts on this suggestion.

I have redone the cover page in order to work around this issue but it does effect my ability to lay out pages unless i stick to the Blurb set layouts.

When you combine this issue with, dog slow software (v1.9.1 on OS 10.5.1 Mac) production problems with binding and print quality I am starting to wonder why i took the time to rave about Blurb

I think you have a great price product and it seems for the one off’s you have a good service, but for anybody needing consistancy and regular use of your software…

humm… 

Posted by
HairBear
Nov 28, 2007 3:06pm PDT
HairBear

OK I have coresponded with Maggie at Blurb today and she has re-explained her response.

Some humble pie required by myself and  a small apologie and a thank you to her.

There is still an issue here. I think it is colour profile related.

She has kindly looked at the image in the Blurb server and it appears there with the slight colour in the white background.

When it leaves my Mac it has no colour in the background.

Something is happening to the file as it is imported into Booksmart.

Is a colour profile assigned atthis point by Booksmart? 

Posted by
HairBear
Nov 29, 2007 2:36am PDT
HairBear

I’m using Booksmart 1.9.2 on a Mac with OS X 10.5 and I see a similar color cast in my white picture. I tried it with a transparant background, a white background and attaching an sRGB color profile. Always the same result. Booksmart shows a color cast. it is also in the PDF that you can generate. However, it is not in the JPGs.

I can provide you the PDF and JPGs.

Marc

Posted by
MarcGemis
Dec 2, 2007 2:48am PDT
MarcGemis

Hi – I was just about to make a post about the image on my cover page showing slightly off-white when I saw this post.

For me, I have a scanned image that was shot in a studio against a white background and the levels modified in Photoshop to bring the background to pure white. This was exported as JPG with least compression and imported into Blurb book. When placed on the front cover and if I zoom in real close I can see that the background is a very slight darker shade than the white of the book cover. So it would seem that this problem is not an isolated case and is a problem with the way the image is imported into the application?

Posted by
alougher
Dec 3, 2007 4:54pm PDT
alougher

Hi Marc and alougher,
Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing as well in BookSmart? We are trying to reproduce saving from PSD with a variety of formats with no luck. I’d also suggest contacting customer support and sending the JPG and PDF as you suggest. Go ahead and inform the CSR and link to this post.

http://www.blurb.com/help/technical_support

Thanks, Chad

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Dec 4, 2007 1:20pm PDT
CapnScrappy

It can’t be produced by saving out of PS.

The file is OK when it leaves PS it takes on the bacground colour when its imported into BookSmart

Posted by
HairBear
Dec 4, 2007 1:23pm PDT
HairBear

OK thats not strictly true, you can make a background with 1 or 2% of colour in it.

What I ment was if you save the file with a pure white background out of PS it will still be pure white when the file is opened in PS or imported into the noraml apps such as Quark Adobe etc

Import the same file in BookSmart ann then the background changes?

Posted by
HairBear
Dec 5, 2007 7:56am PDT
HairBear

Just a quick note: I exported out of PS as PNG and the off-white problem did not occur. So it looks like perhaps a problem with just JPG?

Posted by
alougher
Dec 5, 2007 9:24pm PDT
alougher

Can you still colour manage a PNG file?

Posted by
HairBear
Dec 6, 2007 12:56am PDT
HairBear