Book Design and Imaging

Lightroom 4 identified bug preventing export to pdf & export to blurb

Hi all,

Seen the numerous topics about LR4 book module, I thought I might share my experience and the bug I found.

After a lot of work, I tried to export a 238 pages book including 3482 photos. Some sort of contact book I you wish.

I found out I was unable to export anything and I was not alone.

Long story short, after spending hours dividing my book into smaller books, I saw that all photos that were tagged with a color label would prevent any export !!!

I removed all color labels and the export worked.

I hope this can be useful for some other photographs out there.

Laurent

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
3x-studio
Sep 19, 2012 8:28am PDT
3x-studio

I have the same problem. The server stops responding – upload fails at about 60%. Book is 139 pages. I can export to jpgs and to pdf with LR4 but it can’t upload the book to Blurb and the PDF file generated by LR4 is in wrong format so Blurb can’t use it.

I have no color labels or stars. I have tried the solution that apparently has helped a lot of people on the internet namely unchecking "graphic" for each and every page and uncheck "apply background globally".

Nothing has helped and I’m stuck with the problems. Weeks of work wasted and clients complaining.

Please please please if you have the answer: Help!

Posted by
michaelben
Sep 23, 2012 11:24pm PDT
michaelben

Now I get the following error (it stops uploading at 72%):

"There was an error uploading your book to the Blurb server:

Error internal error getting PDF Book Data"

Posted by
michaelben
Sep 24, 2012 1:05am PDT
michaelben

And another upload attempt resulted in this error:
Error code xslt-parse-error. Server response. H1 gateway timeout h1

I hope someone can translate these errors and come up with a solution.

This is sucking the life out of me.

Posted by
michaelben
Sep 24, 2012 7:48am PDT
michaelben

I am trying to upload a 120 page book in LR4 to blurb.

After reading of all the other issues I see Lightroom has not corrected many initial bugs from 4.0. I am running 4.2RC.

The error I got was simply "cover page error."

I’m only trying once more before I choose another publisher.

Posted by
tleparskas
Sep 24, 2012 4:24pm PDT
tleparskas

And my story ended happily: after more than 10 unsuccesful attempts to upload the finished book (see thread) it suddenly uploaded successfully. I didn’t change any settings or anything so it is a complete mystery to me.
I tried to upload the book once more just as a test and it uploaded once more with success.

I just don’t get it!

Posted by
michaelben
Sep 25, 2012 8:59am PDT
michaelben

smae here. been trying to upload a 180 page book for the past 3 days. Don’t know why. Just successfully got  150 page book through (only took about 2 hours to upload…). So, this new one…can’t quite get it through. I;m really unhappy with the performance of LR4 and Blurb. Something is just not right.

Firewall: No.

Antivirus ; No

Computer HD going to sleep: No.

Backup software: No.

Posted by
brotherjug
Oct 8, 2012 10:08am PDT
brotherjug

I have similar problems with uploading to Blurb with the lightroom book module. I established that it was NOT a connection problem (ie, firewall, connection speed, etc) by creating a 20 page book and uploading it successfully.

I have worked in QA for a software company and I know that one of the things that can create bugs are files names (too long, too short, character combinations). I tried using short name (less than 10 characters for the file with no spaces and had SUCCESS! I would have to do more testing to find out if this is the problem and if I could recreate it, but this seems to be a good start.

I suggest using a name like Testbook1. You can change the name later on the blurb website.

Posted by
girlray
Oct 23, 2012 6:48pm PDT
girlray

Having same problems. My head is wrecked! I’v tried so many times, also exported PDF and it doesn’t work either! Worst thing is, it only informs you that the pdf doesn’t work after waiting hours for it to upload! This is a joke! I’v spent hours making my book and hours trying to upload.

Posted by
jasonjuudit
Nov 27, 2012 3:17pm PDT
jasonjuudit

Hi jasonjuudit,

You may want to try contacting Lightroom support if you are having trouble with both exporting and uploading a book. Blurb only handles the actual printing of your uploaded file so there isn’t a lot we can suggest. Best of luck.

-Craig

Posted by
csm
Nov 27, 2012 3:26pm PDT
csm Icon_staff

Glad to know I am not the only one experiencing this uploading dilemma . Yesterday it took me 25 minutes of hitting the retry button before it went through on a 25 page book…today I am at 10 minutes and counting….this is ridiculous . Lightroom and Blurb need to get together and work this out. The finished product is high quality but the process is unacceptable!

Posted by
fotos2
May 17, 2014 1:02pm PDT
fotos2

I am having the exact same problem …finally found a number for Blurb phone support and they acted like they had never heard of a problem that has been going on for 2 plus years!  Amazing!  I’ve wasted countless hours. Glad to know I’m not the only one. BOTH Lightroom/Adobe and Blurb need to take responsibility for this problem. Linda

Posted by
lindalapp
Aug 13, 2014 1:59pm PDT
lindalapp

Thank you SO much for your post. Unfortunately it didn’t work for me and Blurb will not help. They say it is a Lightroom problem. Unfortunately getting help from Adobe means posting on forums that don’t answer. If you have any additional tips for finding bugs, please let me know. I’ve removed all flags, stars, etc. I’ve taken all backgrounds off my pages. I’ve checked to see if all photos are available. I’ve renamed the book.  I don’t know what to do. Sad to loose ALL this work. Linda

Posted by
lindalapp
Aug 14, 2014 12:34pm PDT
lindalapp

Hi Linda,

It looks like you were able to upload your book successfully. Glad to see that.

The most common issue we have seen with uploading, is internet connection issues.
It is best to use a wired connection over wireless connectivity if possible. These files can be very large and if there is any type of break in the connection, the upload will fail.

We are working diligently on improving the upload experience.
Thanks!
Joe

Posted by
JoeCro
Aug 17, 2014 9:28am PDT
JoeCro Icon_staff

Forums test

Posted by
mikewhy
Aug 26, 2014 8:35am PDT
mikewhy Icon_staff