Book Design and Imaging

Page Template in Photo Book

I am new to InDesign (using CS6) and have what is probably an easy question.

I am creating a 6×9 photo book/catalog with 2 photos per page.  I would like to create it using some kind of template system so that later on, if I need to alter the page layout, I can edit the template and (for example) nudge the top photo up a little, and have every photo that uses that template on every page nudge up, instead of having to adjust every single pageby hand (120 pages).

Can I do that in InDesign, and if so, how?

Thanks.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
timcrosby
Mar 13, 2013 6:33am PDT
timcrosby

Hi timcrosby,
The best way to handle what you are trying to do with InDesign, is to use Master Pages.
This way you only need to nudge the Master Page elements and all the pages will be adjusted as the Master Pages are. You can find a tutorial here for Master Pages.
Thanks!
Joe

Posted by
JoeCro
Mar 13, 2013 8:45pm PDT
JoeCro Icon_staff

Hi Joe – unfortunately, master pages in indesign won’t let you modify elements that need to change on a page by page basis globally as you will need to override the image frame on each page as you place that item.  The master pages in indesign are really only good for items that will NEVER change – like backgrounds and page numbers.  Sure – you can add an image box to the master page and it will appear on any page that is created from that master – but once you go to add an image to the page – you need to override the master thus breaking the link.

In my opinion, this is a major shortcoming with Indesign that I hope is addressed in CS7… in the end, you will want to be sure each template is designed individually and setup as close to complete as possible from the start.  Believe me.. I’ve been down that road and it stinks having to adjust a single image box over and over for a 200 page book.

Hope this helps..

Posted by
Jingothecat
Mar 14, 2013 7:07pm PDT
Jingothecat

Joe, yes you can do what you want with Master pages.

Jingothecat, you do not need to reposition every element. When you break the link to a master page item, it breaks the link according to that specific change. For example, you may add a new photo in a box, but the position and size will still be linked to the master page.

I know this is way after the question was asked, but wanted to clarify that item.

Posted by
brentschuman
Dec 3, 2013 11:00pm PDT
brentschuman