Book Design and Imaging

Some photos can't select borders

Hello,

I’m creating my first book at Blurb and came across an interesting but irritating issue. I have setup the Wedding template with a Baroque Theme. In all my photos, I want to use the basic thin black line border (It’s the 5th one when selecting). However, I noticed that some Picture Layout pages won’t allow any borders. Is this a bug or a design fault? One that doesn’t work is the two large portrait photos layout with a small text box. If I choose the smaller 2x portrait options with larger text boxes, no problems with a border, but not the large. If I change the layout whilst on that page, I can bring up the border options but none stick. If I move to a page which has that layout already there, the border box is greyed out.

Another layout where borders don’t work is the 5x small portraits all in a row (with 1xsmall text box above)

Any idea around this, as now my book is a patchwork of some borders and some without.

Replytopic_b_normal
Posted by
ovbg
Dec 3, 2007 1:24pm PDT
ovbg

Hello ovbg;

I suspect this is a bug in BookSmart. I suggest you file a Tech Support report at;

http://www.blurb.com/help/technical_support

Good luck;

Lee

Posted by
lkb-28
Dec 4, 2007 2:57am PDT
lkb-28

Yeah, unfortunately I think you have found a bug in the software. Please do contact Tech Support so we can fix this. 

In general borders are disabled on full-bleed photo containers (that bleed off the edge fo the page) because the borders would be cut-off when the pages are trimmed. In addition, photo containers that butt next to each other may not have a border option as well as the borders will collide with one another.

Thanks, Chad 

Posted by
CapnScrappy
Dec 5, 2007 3:35pm PDT
CapnScrappy

I found the same thing to be the case-<del>using the Baroque theme and the full-bleed container. However, it was not as much of an issue for me  because in PhotoStudio I had already added borders  to my images (white</del>-40 pixel). slid  I placed them on a gray page, using the center/no crop option, sizing them and positioning them,  and they look good with just the white border. 

But there might be other page formats that would allow similar sizing and  the Booksmart borders—I preferred to control the placement and size with the full bleed page.

Posted by
CHTrippe
Dec 9, 2007 12:56pm PDT
CHTrippe